• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

which players transcode to DTS 1.5mbps for use with old decoder

henry1234

Established Member
I need to know which players convert all the HD audio formats to a simple DTS 1.5mbps signal output via optical or co-ax.

I have an older processor with no analogue inputs.

I think the Samsung BDP-1500 does this, any other players?

I won't be upgrading the processor anytime soon. I want a blu-ray as I rent from lovefilm and virtually all films now come in blu-ray as well as dvd.

I had an Toshiba EP-1 that did this, then sent back and got an EP30 which only outputs DD at the highest supported bitrate (around 648kps or similiar). The sound on the EP-1 was better.

Scott_Mac

Distinguished Member
I need to know which players convert all the HD audio formats to a simple DTS 1.5mbps signal output via optical or co-ax.

I have an older processor with no analogue inputs.

I think the Samsung BDP-1500 does this, any other players?

I won't be upgrading the processor anytime soon. I want a blu-ray as I rent from lovefilm and virtually all films now come in blu-ray as well as dvd.

I had an Toshiba EP-1 that did this, then sent back and got an EP30 which only outputs DD at the highest supported bitrate (around 648kps or similiar). The sound on the EP-1 was better.

As KF says, only the Samsung does this... great product and bloody cheap at Amazon at the moment!! Amazon.co.uk: Samsung BD-P1500/XEU - Blu-ray Disc Player: Electronics & Photo

Sadly though it seems the only ones that can do SD multi region playback are the Sony S350 and the Panasonics :( For me i'd forego the multi region for the better audio (as i actually did with my Toshiba HD-EP35)

Bald Monkey

Distinguished Member
Is that right? I thought that the PS3 was meant to be able to output full rate coreDTS via SPDIF using bitstream?

AFAIK, the 1500 will also re-encode TrueHD to 1.5Mbs DTS where as if using Optical on the PS3 you will only get normal DD at 640Kbs.

As you say DTS will I think be the same on both, 1.5Mbs DTS core.

nwgarratt

Distinguished Member
Any player should do it with DTS-HD MA and DTS-HD HR audio. Those tracks have a embedded 1.5mbps DTS core which the player uses. Anything else like TrueHD gets a DD 5.1. Some have a DD core or there might be separate DD audio. There is also uncompressed HD audio. Only the Samsung 1500 and 2500 can turn these into DTS.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom