Which player?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Luc, Aug 7, 2002.

1. Luc

Luc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Just sold my aging Pioneer 626D (fools on eBay will buy anything), and need an upgrade. Ideally i want a player that'll do pal/ntsc progressive out of the box (ie firmware upgrade/hack) and won't set me back more than about £300. Am i asking for too much?
    The Tosh SD510 only does ntsc prog (anyone know if there's a firmware hack in the pipeline?), the Philips 963SA isn't out until September, and i can't live for 2 months with no player. Denon 2800 mkI's might be a possibility, but are just out of my range (unless anyone knows anywhere cheap/2nd hand).

Should i screw the pooch and get a cheap-ish Pioneer 454 to tide me over, or get something that will last me until i get a new projector/plasma?

2. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Why this particular moderator? Then again why should everyone be chasing Lex?

3. Luc

Luc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    OK, so after a bit more searching, i've decided on an Harman Kardon DVD25. pal progressive, rgb scarts, plays mp3s/svcds. Sounds like exactly what i want. Anyone got one of these and can vouch for it? HiFiBitZ and HomeCinemaHeaven have it for £350 - is this the cheapest i'm going to find it?

4. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Be aware that, last I heard on here and around, the dvd25 still does not do pure pal progressive - it's respurted ntsc. A rumoured hacked firmware is possibly going to happen, possibly...

5. Luc

Luc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    It's like the universe deliberately hates my guts. :mad: Pioneer 454 here i come..

6. Technophobe

Technophobe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't hold your breath for the 963 being available Sept.
    Philips told me it would be available by the end of July.
    I would go for the 962 from Hivizone, at least you know your getting a PAL / NTSC Progressive player of proven quality.
    The 963 may not even have PS capability in the UK version, or if it does maybe priced to match the other high spec PS players here at £600+. Why would Philips sell a high spec player at a price lower than they need to, this is rip off Britain after all.

Just a thought.

Technophobe

7. Luc

Luc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    No rgb scart tho on the 962, this player isn't for constant projector use, it needs to connect to my tv too, which doesn't have svideo.

8. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Scarts, who invented those, along with 2,5 and 7 pin Din plugs. A neat line of DIN to phono connectors on the back of my Naim Amp, many a happy hour with matchsticks and bare wire into the back of various 70's speakers. Put them up against a wall I say !

Sorry, to rant and unfortunately I cant help with your predicament. You will just have to wait for the market to catch up and it looks like the Philips will be first at that price.

9. Zone

Zone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,190
    I'm not paying up now :D

10. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just to add.. According to the 963SA user manual it does support prog.scan... My Q50 has been shipped but I'm keeping a close eye on this player.