1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

which player?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by maamtoamd, Jan 18, 2002.

1. maamtoamd

maamtoamd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ive got a set of mission fs2av speakers/sub and i am wondering what dvd player to put with it.
    i will probably need one with onboard dts,dd etc decoding cos i hadnt planned on getting an amp just yet(kidz cost money too#!)
    so any suggestions i havent mentioned a price cos i like to by the best value for my money but 200-400 should do it (lower the better!!)
    i await yer wisdom cheers:)

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,909
    Aside from a few "all in one" solutions (which tend to be budget devices supplied complete with speakers) DVD players with onboard decoders WON'T drive loudspeakers directly. They produce a "line level" output which requires further amplification to drive speakers. So, you WILL need an amplifier or receiver. Unless, of course, you already have three regular stereo amps lying around.

If you are buying a home cinema amp, you will find that most have onboard DD/DTS decoders. So you won't need to consider a DVD player with onboard decoder.

3. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    What are you using the speakers with?

If you havent got an amp or receiver, buying a dvd player isnt going to get you anywhere!

Its mostly the more expensive dvd players that have the onboard decoders, but you may be better off buying an amp that has them onboard and a dvd player such as the Toshiba 210E.

It will probably work out cheaper and perform better.

cheers