• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Which player with Pio 436XDE?

jester2005

Standard Member
Hi All!

As per the subject really - am keen to get an HD-DVD player and can't decide between the HD-E1 or the HD-EP10. The Pio 436XDE is a native 720P panel but will accept 1080P/24fps signal. With the firmware update everyone is talking about I believe the HD-EP10 will output 1080p/24 - my question is will it be worth the extra for this player or will I not really notice the benefits with this screen?

All thoughts and suggestions much appreciated!

J

jackal

I have used both the XE1 and E1 with my 506XDE and even at 1080i there is a better image with the XE1.

However as regards, 1080p 24 I would say definitely go for the player that allows for this post upgrade.

I use my PS3 at 1080p 24 and the results are stunning IMO. This isn't just down to motion fluidity either.

The 1080p 24 image is passed straight from the disc without any interlacing deinterlacing steps and there is only one scaling step involved (down to panel native resolution). There are far fewer image artifacts and the image just looks far more pristine IMO.

Even when passing 1080i from an E1 it is taking the progressive image from disc, deinterlacing it and taking it up to 60Hz for output.

The EP10 is supposed to be included in the upgrade and because it will be a straight 1080p 24 pass through, that is the one I would go for.

All IMHO of course.

jester2005

Standard Member
Thanks Jackal. That's what I was half expecting to hear.. Do you know if there's any offical view on the firmware update giving the HD-EP10 the 1080p/24 functionality? or is it just confirmed for the XE1?.

I would hate to spend the cash on the EP10 to find it's not included in the firmware update!

Maybe I would be better waiting for the 3rd-gen players that have recently been announced for the US market - the specs state 1080p/24 out of the box for all but the base models of these.

J

jackal

There is every indication that the upgrade will apply to the EP10 as well as the XE1.

However I am not willing to stake your money on it.

All should be clear very soon as the release in the US of the upgrade is imminent.

If the HD-A20 gets it then it is pretty much guaranteed.

Maybe someone is willing to be more bold than I am but I'd wait a week or so If I were in your shoes.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom