1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which player in the 150€ range?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by gpq71, Sep 8, 2005.

1. gpq71

gpq71

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello everybody,
    I've been reading this forum in the last couple of days (very good, btw), but as usually happens, the more you learn, the more you get confused...
    I'm looking for a relatively DVD player in the 150€ (100£) range or slighty more to connect it to my Onkyo 595 AV amplifier. My wishes would be:

- Progressive scan
    - Component out
    - Quiet (no much whirring)
    - Coax digital output
    - DivX playback capability
    - Possibility to upgrade the firmware

If the majority of the gurus in the forum agreed on some "winners", please let me know.

Thanks a lot,
    Gianluca.

2. daz1976

daz1976

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Hi

Quite a few of those questions flying about at the moment, but from reviews and others here I'd say your choices are Toshiba 350E or the Pioneer 575a. Not sure about the Tosh for DIVX but have the Pio myself and it does. As I said some others here rate the Tosh and What Hi Fi gave it top honours also but can't personally say Neh or Yeh on it, but the Pio I have is first rate for Pic and sound.

Cheers

Daz

3. gpq71

gpq71

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you Daz,
    I saw that the 575 is very high rated by everybody. At the same time everybody is saying only bad things about the 585, but I still didn't get the reasons for this. I'd be quite keen on buying the 585 (141€ in Germany), but I'd like to get some more info on that.
    How can it be that the 575 gets 5 stars and the 585 only 3 (What Hi-Fi)? It smells a little bit... Anybody actually got the 585?

Ciao,
    Gianluca.

4. daz1976

daz1976

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    One thing that can happen is that the competition moves on and what was great last year is not so this year. I agree, as I'm assuming that you figure they would have based the 585 on the 575 internals. It may be so that the Tosh is the better player but without doing a direct side to side I'll never know, also don't forget that the 585 was tested on a Hitachi LCD where as the 575 might have been on something that partnered it better. If there's one thing I've learnt over the years its not to judge stuff to much untill you've seen it with your stuff, including what magazines say about them also, as this has to be taken with a somewhat open and flexible mind and used only as a tool to narrow down your search.

Daz

5. amorenod

amorenod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    The Philips DVP-720SA meets all your wishes, and adds SACD compatibility. I think it costs about 120€