Which player: HDE1 vs HD-XA2 vs HD-XA1

sea surfer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking for some advice on buying an HD player,Which one from the 3 is the best player to buy, HD-E1 (£260 delivered U.K), HD-XA2 (£419 delivered), HD-XA1 (£299 delivered from Movietyme)

Looking for some advice on buying an HD player,Which one from the 3 is the best player to buy, HD-E1 (£260 delivered U.K), HD-XA2 (£419 delivered), HD-XA1 (£299 delivered from Movietyme)

1. What type of display to you plan to use with the player ?
2. Do you have an amp with 5.1 analogue inputs or HDMI audio input/video passthough ?
3. Do you plan to use it as a DVD players as well as HD ?
4. If Yes to 3 are your DVD mainly region 1 or 2 ?

AVI

1. What type of display to you plan to use with the player ?
2. Do you have an amp with 5.1 analogue inputs or HDMI audio input/video passthough ?
3. Do you plan to use it as a DVD players as well as HD ?
4. If Yes to 3 are your DVD mainly region 1 or 2 ?

AVI

Will be hooking the player up to a 720p projector through HDMI, I will also be using the player to connect to an LCD when needed, through component.

Currently using an old DSP A1 which has 5.1 inputs, I will be upgrading the amp in the future, but not for 6 months or so.

I will only be using it only for HD.

The HD-XA1 , seems a great player (build wise) for the money, but I know it has problems with discs sticking etc, which can be down to the firmware I think:eek: so I would be willing to take a chance on it, if the firmware could sort any of the known problems.

Will be hooking the player up to a 720p projector through HDMI, I will also be using the player to connect to an LCD when needed, through component.

Currently using an old DSP A1 which has 5.1 inputs, I will be upgrading the amp in the future, but not for 6 months or so.

I will only be using it only for HD.

The HD-XA1 , seems a great player (build wise) for the money, but I know it has problems with discs sticking etc, which can be down to the firmware I think:eek: so I would be willing to take a chance on it, if the firmware could sort any of the known problems.

I purchased the A1 almost a year ago and it's been great. Given the above I would go with the XA1 or XA2. Both allow HD audio via analogue and the XA2 offers 1080p if your LCD is native 1080.

Do the Movietyme prices include VAT ?

AVI

It looks like the price is inclusive of VAT and import t as far as I can see, but I may be wrong.

Just noticed the price for the XA1 is actually £339 brand new, they are selling a few used for the £299, still a great price, considering what they where selling for a year ago:suicide:

It looks like the price is inclusive of VAT and import t as far as I can see, but I may be wrong.

They may just be covering themselves but....

"Customs Information: This product will be shipped from our office in North America and may be subject to import tax and duty once it reaches your country.
These and any additional charges must be borne by you."

This charge is normally collected by the shipping company i.e. DHL, FedEx etc rather than the seller.

AVI

They may just be covering themselves but....

"Customs Information: This product will be shipped from our office in North America and may be subject to import tax and duty once it reaches your country.
These and any additional charges must be borne by you."

This charge is normally collected by the shipping company i.e. DHL, FedEx etc rather than the seller.

AVI

I,m sure I read somewhere on these forums that they cover all charges.

Whats the best player in your opinion AVI,to go for? the HDE1 seems a steal also at £260 inc delivery.

Whats the best player in your opinion AVI,to go for? the HDE1 seems a steal also at £260 inc delivery.

Unless you anticipate needing the XA2 1080p, I would suggest the E1 since it includes warranty and you plan on buying an HDMI receiver in a few months anyway. I would use the Toslink output in the meantime.

If you anticipate needing 1080p, then the XA2 is the way to go. I would be inclined to skip the XA1 (1080i) since it is a less responsive player (requires more patience) and if there are any issues (given it was used and returned), lack of a warranty could be a problem.

Unless you anticipate needing the XA2 1080p, I would suggest the E1 since it includes warranty and you plan on buying an HDMI receiver in a few months anyway. I would use the Toslink output in the meantime.

If you anticipate needing 1080p, then the XA2 is the way to go. I would be inclined to skip the XA1 (1080i) since it is a less responsive player (requires more patience) and if there are any issues (given it was used and returned), lack of a warranty could be a problem.

Does the Toslink connection on the HDE1 only output Plain DD 5.1?

The E1 is a great bit of kit and has the advanatge of a local warranty should anything go wrong. That does mean you can't access HD Audio until you upgrade your amp and in the meantime you will be limited to 5.1 over optical. If you want HD audio now then XA1/XA2 may be the way to go.

At this stage I tend to favour the second gen players and the XA/XE offer better build if that's important to you.

AVI

Does the Toslink connection on the HDE1 only output Plain DD 5.1?

The Toslink output issues the normal signals for SD DVD, but for DD+ and TrueHD on HD DVD, it will issue 1.5Mbps DTS that it crosscodes from the source HD soundtracks. It works VERY well :) !

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom