1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Player for Philips LCD? 1910, 575, 945, 340

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Alan111S, Jan 10, 2005.

1. Alan111S

Alan111S
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi

I am getting a new LCD TV, the Philips 32PF9986. I also need to upgrade my current DVD player - a good ol' Samsung 709......

The Philips has a DVI (HDCP-enabled) input, plus a Component-VGA-DVI lead arrangement, so it can take Component as well.

I also back-up DVDs using Shrink but I only have a +R burner on my Dell laptop, so it must be able to play +R disks and also be multi-region.

I want the best possible picture so was thinking of:-

1) Denon 1910
    2) Pioneer DV-575
    3) Samsung HD-945
    4) Toshiba SD340E

in that order......

BTW, my amp is a Sony STR-DB930 which has digital and 5.1 inputs. But I would probably just use the digital interconnect to the amp.

I have read about the problems with Denon x910 players on here, otherwise I'd go straight for the Denon.

Any help greatly appreciated.

2. 98072229

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Alan

I'm also seriously considering the Philips LCD (where did you order yours from, and how much?) As for the DVD Player, From what I've read, to do the screen justice you may need to up the budget... What are you thoughts on this?

I too will be buying a new DVD player, and having just seen the Denon problems, would be looking at something different. (I was considering the DVD2910)

John

3. Alan111S

Alan111S
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I haven't yet bought the LCD - am trying to get John Lewis to price match at the moment. I don't want to spend more than £200-£300 at the most, as the cost of the TV raised a few eyebrows and furrows at home :eek:

4. Tricko

Tricko
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    My 32PF9986 arrived this morning! :)

Got it from EmpireDirect as it was a v2.1, so can accept the progressive scan from my Pioneer 575 via the component - VGA - DVI converters.

It's a multiregion universal player - so will play just about anything you can throw at it including DVD+/-R or RW discs, including DivX encoded files (it tends to "stutter" when playing Xvid encoded files though...) and SACD too.

After a day of DVD veiwing I think the Pioneer more than does justice to the screen, the only thing I've noticed so far is that after a while (not found a pattern to when it happens yet) that it looks like in the first row of pixels in the top left half of the screen theres a pattern of dotted white lines.
    It only happens when using the component-DVI input, haven't seen it when using RGB scart from the DVD (which is brilliant anyway).

I don't know if this is due to the DVD player or the TV yet, anyone else come across this?

Either way, im still really happy with both the TV and the DVD....

Cheers.