Which player for HD analogue outputs?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by glen8, Jun 4, 2008.

1. glen8

glen8

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Hi all,

Just wondering what players support HD audio via the analogues?

I currently have a PS3 and an Arcam AVR-280. You can probably see my problem. No analogues on the PS3 and no HDMI HD on the Arcam :lol:

Thanks!!

2. kingfats

kingfats
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,620
    Hi glen8. :)
    The Samsung 1400 does (£200) but no DTS-MA over the Multi's,also your have to research if bass management,etc is up to spec.........thread here.
    The BD50 is "supposed" to be out real soon,and.........it's again "supposed" to be able to send all the HD soundtracks over the analogues,have to wait for release though to find out.
    You could import the Denon :eek:.........maybe not! :D
    All the best.

3. glen8

glen8

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Thanks v much

I have just checked my blu-ray collection and most of my fav movies are in DTS-MA

4. kingfats

kingfats
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,620
    Hi glen8. :)
    Quite a few are now,you don't really want to miss out. :(
    Hopefully the BD50 will come up trumps. :smashin:
    Cheers.

5. glen8

glen8

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Yes fingers crossed, lets hope it's not more than £500

6. kingfats

kingfats
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,620
    :thumbsup:
    £500 is a fair price if it does what everyone hopes. :)

7. HeweyBoy101

HeweyBoy101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    Hi glen8,

If you have the Arcam AVR already I wouldn't be expecting any significant improvement with HD audio. I have the AVR300 and the Panasonic BD10 Blu-ray player (has analogue outs for everything except DTS-HD MA).

The AVR300 (as with your 280) has first class DAC's and excellent Bass Management. The sound coming off Blu-ray via digital coax is aready superb - especially given the higher bitrate on DD and DTS(core). With the 5.1 analogues connected, and playing a TrueHD soundtrack, there is virtually no difference at all. In fact, I still prefer the digital coax sound as the bass management in the amp is far superior to that in the player

For people with Arcam kit I don't believe that we will see any signficant gains (in tems of HD audio) until Arcam bring out a Blu-ray payer next year, with good DAC's and proper bass management. I certainly wouldnt expect the BD50 to be that much different to the BD10, and further, I wouldn't want to risk trying out say the Denon, only to fnd it's the same or no better.

HDMI audio is another issue altogether, but there is no way I would give up my Arcam for any other AVR, just for that particular feature. I tried an Onkyo 805 and it was horrible. In any case, the main reason Arcam (and others) have not yet introduced an HDMI amp is because there are quality issues with audio over HDMI.

Seriously, if you stick with the PS3 into your AVR280 it will beat most similarly priced set-up's already, including those with HDMI HD audio. By all means get a demo of the B50 (I probably will as well). Even with better (analogue) bass management I cannot see the DAC's being to Arcam standards.
    Regards,
    Mark