Which player, Denon DVD-A11 or 3910

thudspud

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hello

I have just bought an AVC-A1SRA and am now looking for a DVD player to match it.

I currently have a Sony DVP-NS930 which is getting on a bit.

My Display is a Panasonic 42" 6 series plasma.

I have been offered a cheap DVD-A11 but also have my eye on a 3910.

I know the DVD-A11 is a much more expensive player but it is older than the 3910. Which will give me best results on my Panny (and will hopefully be getting a projector such as a Z4 or maybe a Themescene H57 in the next 6-12 months)

Cheers

Chris

I bought a 3910 a few weeks ago and I'm very pleased with it.

When the German home cinema magazine AudioVision tested the 3910 they thought that it bested the A11.
The 3910 got 44 out of 45 points for the picture quality (A11: 40)
Sound quality: 3910: 34/35 points (A11: 33)
Overall points: 3910: 95/100 (A11: 89)
Now you have to keep in mind that the two test articles are a few months apart and I'm always a bit sceptic comparing these ratings directly if this is the case. But from what they wrote in the 3910 test they seem to have compared the two models side by side. If you can read some German I could scan the test articles for both models and send the to you...

A friend of mine has an A11, but we never did a direct comparison so far (we might do that someday). He had also a good offer for a device that was used by the store for presentation purposes. He had to upgrade the firmware though because it had many bugs when playing DVD-Audio (the player did hang up a few times before the upgrade).

Having said all that, you might not really see a big difference in the picture on your plasma since AFAIK your display does not have the native resolution of any of the HD-modes the players can output (480p/576p, 720p, 1080i) and will have to do some additional scaling which might level any differences out anyhow...

If this is something important for you: I think that the remote control of the 3910 is a bit nicer than that of the A11, because the cursor buttons light up ;)

Regards,
Oliver

Interesting, many thanks for your post.

I can't read any german but thanks for the offer of the scans.

Cheers

Chris

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom