• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

which plasmas suport 1080p

chrisuk01

Established Member
hi.
im just wondering which plasmas currenly allow 1080p ??

and which plasmas that are due out this year will have this resolution ?

thanks

TarMoo

Prominent Member
See here. I am not sure when more plasmas with 1080p will be available.

hornydragon

Distinguished Member
I read it some where i think 58 was the first 1080p they had built (seemed odd to me at the time too) I'll see if i can dig out a link
http://panasonic.co.jp/corp/news/official.data/data.dir/en060719-2/en060719-2.html
Osaka, Japan - Panasonic, the brand for which Matsu****a Electric Industrial Co., Ltd. is known, today unveiled four new models in the PZ600 series VIERA plasma TVs. The new models, with screen size of 50, 58, 65 and the world's largest 103 inches, feature 1080p (progressive) high definition (HD) plasma display panels producing pictures at 1,920 × 1,080 pixel resolution. The four models support terrestrial, broadcast satellite and 110-degree CS digital broadcasts in Japan.

The 50-inch TH-50PZ600, 58-inch TH-58PZ600 and 65-inch TH-65PZ600 models will be available on the Japanese market on September 1. The 103-inch TH-103PZ600 will be built to order with sales scheduled to commence on September 1 and delivery to start from late September.
September is Launch in Japan so expect UK stock in April is my guess

tintin jones

Prominent Member
am i right in saying that True HD cant be achieved on 42"? can you have 1080P on a 42"??

hornydragon

Distinguished Member
tintin jones said:
am i right in saying that True HD cant be achieved on 42"? can you have 1080P on a 42"??
no 42" currently have 1080p Res (but True HD whats that?) but they certainly can do HD

MORE PIXELS DOES NOT MAKE A BETTER PICTURE

tintin jones

Prominent Member
my understanding of it was true HD was considered 1920x1080 progressive resolution compared to 1080 interlaced.

It wont be the first time that i've been wrong though haha...

cj

Established Member
The new 42" offerings from Pioneer and Panasonic, whilst not 1920x1080 resolution, will apparently support 1080P/24 input signals via HDMI. A few of the current generation of 42" plasmas also accept some 1080P signals via HDMI and component. If 1080P support is what you're after, then make sure you do your research :)

hornydragon

Distinguished Member
cj said:
The new 42" offerings from Pioneer and Panasonic, whilst not 1920x1080 resolution, will apparently support 1080P/24 input signals via HDMI. A few of the current generation of 42" plasmas also accept some 1080P signals via HDMI and component. If 1080P support is what you're after, then make sure you do your research :)
very true good point CJ accpeting 1080p and being 1080p res arent the same infact some 1920x1080p panels cant accept 1080p signals

mo

Established Member
just going away from the last couple of posts

theres some interesting sizes of panels coming up.
i read somewhere that a sharp panel coming between the 65' and the 45' coming up very soon, 55' i think it is .
at the same time if lcds prices are coming down quickley then why are sharps 65' still at silly prices , even the sharp 45' hasnt moved much lately.

can it be believed that their might be a price war at xmas with alot more 1080i / 1080p panels coming on to the market ?

will it also mean that lcds will drown sales of plasmas at the end of the year especially the 42' ?

and yes i know... more pixels dont make a better picture ! (now)

chaparral

Prominent Member
chrisuk01 said:
hi.
im just wondering which plasmas currenly allow 1080p ??

and which plasmas that are due out this year will have this resolution ?

thanks

My pioneer 436xde supports a 1080p input..but it will downscale the picture to the screen res of 1024x768..

Gilly!

Established Member
mo said:
i read somewhere that a sharp panel coming between the 65' and the 45' coming up very soon
Wow - I hope you mean 65" / 45" or else I need one hell of an extension

chrisuk01

Established Member
ok, so there should be more plasmas coming onto the market over next couple months that support 1080p and outputs 1080p.

so my question now, is is it worth getting a 1080p screen yet for the price ? or would i be better off getting a screen that supports 1080p but downscales it to the resolution of the screen ?

also is there liekly to be any screen that supports and outputs 1080p that is 42" or 43" in size ? or are these screens too small to fit the amounbt of pixels neede don ?

thanks again

hornydragon

Distinguished Member
i would worry about having a 1080p panel unless your budget is huge the current Pioneer is good but the equivalent size Fujitsu which almost half the price is a better display (especially with the very limited 1080p content available)

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom