Which plasmas have mechanisms to guarantee the prevention of screen burn

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by barebones, Apr 19, 2007.

1. barebones

barebones
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The only thing putting me off plasma is burn. I know someone who recently got it bad within a few months of ownership (DVD-recorder OSD and SKY channel bar permanently visible on a white screen), so don't tell me it's a thing of the past.

I like playing games and would like to hook up my PC but I know these are high risk activities with a plasma.

I know all about running plasma at low settings for the first 200h but at the end of the day burn is irreversible and the manufacturers won't be bothered if I get it.

It wouldn't be difficult for the plasma to "know" if it will get burn, by the amount of time its pixels have been static, and then apply measures to prevent burn (eg change colour of pixel, or move whole screen around very slowly, or move the whole screen around slowly regardless).

I'm sure these mechanisms exist so which screens have them?

BB

PS. do any plasmas allow you to watch 4:3/2.35:1 with horizontal/vertical letterboxes, whilst preventing uneven image degradation (eg by making the black bars the average brightness of the rest of the image).

2. sdb123

sdb123
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,255
    Make sure you understand the distinction between Image Retention and Screen Burn. :)

3. Black Adder

Black Adder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Which plasmas have mechanisms to guarantee the prevention of screen burn

None.

4. ozzzy189

ozzzy189

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,241
    THE SAMSUNGS HAVE TWO TYPES OF SIGNAL PATTERN AND ADJUSTABLE PIXEL SHIFT. Oops, sorry i just noticed i left caps on- doh !! This helps get rid of retention. Burn is a different matter i believe. just be careful and don`t go daft with contrast and playing the same game for two or three hours and you should be ok.

5. J80FAB

J80FAB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    There isn't a distinction, it's the same thing :mad:

'Image retention' just sounds mode delicate. If manufacturers plastered 'screen burn' in their operating instructions, etc. no one would buy ! :eek:

6. Neil Davidson

Neil Davidson
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +504
    They are two quite different things.

If the set suffers image retention then it can usually be easily rectified by watching moving content or in the worst case using a white screen for a short time.

Screen burn is an irretreivable level of damage to the phosphors on the display.

On a correctly setup plasma screen burn is a thing of the past and with most models even slight image retention is difficult to acheive.

HTH

Neil

7. barebones

barebones
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    "Make sure you understand the distinction between Image Retention and Screen Burn."

Image retention is reversible but screen burn is permanent. Seeing as my pal has had burn 6 months I would say it's the latter (and he's been taking care to avoid further damage since I first told him).

"THE SAMSUNGS HAVE TWO TYPES OF SIGNAL PATTERN AND ADJUSTABLE PIXEL SHIFT"

That's what I like to hear, any others?

8. barebones

barebones
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    BTW If an anti-burn guarantee doesn't exist just let me know which sets have anti-burn mechs - I'm sure I've heard that some commercial panels have them too.

9. barebones

barebones
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    ....by "anti-burn guarantee" I mean't "mechanisms which guarantee the prevention of screen".

10. sdb123

sdb123
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,255
    There is a massive difference between image retention and screen burn (as already stated by ceenhad - thanks :smashin: ).

We use our Plasma (Panasonic PWD6) every day for approx. 7 hours a day; I use it for 360 gaming too. I have never once experienced retention or burn however I have seen it on two other screens (both Pioneer); IMO both down to careless owners not running their displays in correctly and generally having wrong settings.

Steve :)

11. sdb123

sdb123
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,255
    :nono:

12. D@Z

[email protected]

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    My LG has a white screen mode (whitewash), contrast reversal, orbital (moves picture a couple of mm in different directions at random every x number of minutes etc As far as I'm aware all plasmas have these features but nobody can or will offer a guarantee against screen burn. Some makes are more succeptible to it than others but you could burn ANY plasma on the market if you tried too. I have a 50" which I use for everything from 360 gaming to HD DVD and I have only ever seen a small amount of retention which goes after a couple of minutes of whitewash.

13. sirboz

sirboz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah ok - Im a dufus but i bought my first plasma tv this morning :thumbsup: panasonic 50 inch , anyway - blokey in the shop never mentioned 'running it in' anywhere I can find advice on this please? ?

14. Phantoma

Phantoma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  15. Neil Davidson

Neil Davidson
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +504
    This run in DVD is utter hokum.

You should just use a normal setup and pay particular attention to getting the contrast and brightness set correctly.

Some of the "run in" settings here are almost unwatchable!

Neil

16. choddo2006

choddo2006

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +542
    Towards the top right of your keyboard, you'll find a very handy key called "backspace" ;)

17. choddo2006

choddo2006

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +542
    Change it out of dynamic mode

18. miceri

miceri

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    My Pioneer 507XD has the functionality to completely stop screen burn / image retention.

Pay attention to the little button located at the front bottom (oh-errr) left hand side of the screen surround. When it is constantly blue, then you must be careful with regards to image issues.

When it is orange, then it is running in complete image retention / burn safety mode.

19. SimonTSM

SimonTSM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I agree. I have worked in retail, and manufacturers have told me that people are wasting their time with the 'run in' settings.

I asked recently and Fujitsu have told people to set their white screen to run over night for the first few weeks to let the screen work to it's optimum.

You will always get retention. This is due to the plasma gasses having a slight charge. If you put BBC News 24 for example for an hour, turn to a black screen and you may just still see the aston. It's the same as a florescent light, switch it off, and you may notice it will still glow a little. I know Fujitsu use a white screen, which if you run for 1 minute, all retention will be gone. They also use ALIS in some of their older plasmas, which also helps to prevent screen burn. There is also a screen orbiter setting that wil move the image around the screen so nothing is in the same place.

Screen burn is not really an issue for the home. Commercial plasmas it can be visible because they usually have static text and images that are one for days or weeks at a time, and they are usually NEC panels which have a low quality glass.

20. poooch

poooch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    screen breakin is very important not only does it help image retention but it also improves the overall PQ of your panel by properly breaking it in and by properly using a calibration disc

21. miceri

miceri

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Well, at least I thought it was funny.

22. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +986
    The Panasonic commercial screens will move the image round 1 pixel at a time so the static images like logos are not always in the same place, but that is irrelivent to be honest as they don't suffer from burn anyway.

As long as you set it up straight out the box you will be fine with these sets.

I have left the Singstar menu on for 12 hours and not had a problem, left teh Zelda menu on for 10 hours and leave kids channels on for hours at a time, no problem at all.

You don't need running in settings at all, you just need to set it up properly at the start.

23. scoob111

scoob111

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    It's absolutely ridiculous that you have to worry about image retention/screen burn at this price point. Once screen burn occurs - and it does occur - your plasma is basically f****d.

To me this is unacceptable and with the likes of Sony's W2000 displaying better PQ and Blacks than Panny's plasmas i think plasmas are a risk not worth taking.

24. RayP

RayP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,088
    These two terms are being grouped together yet again. No-one needs worry about image retention because it's temporary and is still quite rare on properly setup screens. Screen burn is serious but properly setup plasmas will not suffer burn unless the owner is either daft or does it deliberately.

As for a Sony displaying better black levels than a PH9... well, let's just say I'd be very surprised if that was the case. By all means stay with LCD but you're not enjoying the best of pictures. I have yet to see any LCD that displayed a picture as good as a decent Panasonic plasma especially the professional PH range.

25. sdb123

sdb123
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,255
    Better PQ and Black levels? Are you feeling alright? :eek:

26. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +986
    The Sony W2000 is nothing shoryt of shocking PQ wise, wouldn't have one in my toilet let alone as a main screen.

I have had 4 Pansonics over the last few years and not one of them has had a problem, I do not run them on low settings, just calibrate straight away.
    I had an NEC where retention was an isssue and also a couple of Pioneers which were the same.

But to go and buy a screen like the W2000 because of old wifes tales is stupid.

27. barebones

barebones
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    This is reassuring as I rarely but surely can doze in front of the telly for hours.

Does anyone know if there are any anti-burn functions at all in the Panasonic px60/70 or LG 42pc1d

28. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +986
    I don't use that feature by the way, I think it is there more for commercial applications, like timetables that are on 24/7 etc.