1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Plasma

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by sapper, Oct 29, 2002.

1. sapper

sapper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    :confused:

Okay guys,

The plasma bug has finally bitten me, after months of searching and debating. My partner is also almost interested.

However, which Plasma do I go for?

Size, 42 inches I feel, as the sofa is as good as 10 feet away from the wall were I shall; either hang or place the plasma on its stand.

However, which model should I go for? From the magazines, and some reading including the web, it’s either a Pioneer, Panasonic, or the Toshiba’s clones of the Panasonics.

This narrows the result down to
    Pioneer - PDP-433MXE £3,844.30 (Incl vat) (A monitor!)

Pioneer - PDP-433HDE £5,313.12 (Incl vat) (Complete TV)

Panasonic TH-42PWD5BX VGA only - £3,362.23 (incl. vat) (Complete TV?) extra for BNC boards – not completely sure what’s that is for! :-( Sorry if I’m being stupid!
    Panasonic TH-42PWD4BX £3,663.30 (Incl vat) (no TV box?)
    Toshiba Clone either the 42pw16 or 42PW27 (Panasonic series 4 or 5 respectively)

I get the impression that the Pioneer has the edge over picture quality, and has an extra inch. But it has no built in TV receiver. There fore I would have to use my cable (Telewest) digibox to watch any TV, together with my Yamaha DSP A1 amplifier. As yet I have not had the need to use my amp as a switching box as I use Scart/RGB connections for picture, though I could use a scart to S video lead perhaps (would I lose picture quality?)
    This leads me onto the next question, of how to connect it all up.

My sources are:
    Pioneer 717 DVD player scart (RGB output)
    Pace Telewest Digibox scart (RGB output)
    Pioneer 525 Laserdisc Player Scart, composite
    Toshiba Video player Scart, composite

Obviously I will need to spend some dosh on those little trickery boxes such as an RGB to Component video. Would I need to buy two, one for my DVD, and the other for my cable box? Also, can it accept two composite inputs for the TV and Video?
    If I were to go for a Panasonic (or its clone), would these problems be overcome, at least in part?

Additioanlly what about soem of the other models that are around such as samsung, or other Richer Sound deals (assuming that they have then in stock? Anyone offer interest free credit?

Im getting my self more and more confused :confused:

Think i shall post and go to bed, and deal with any responses when I'm less fogged by this information overload.

Thank you for any help, suggestions etc.

Adrian

2. whistlingDogg

whistlingDogg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    What's the problem with using your cable box as your tv source? do you want to use a mixture of terresital and digital sources. If you want, you can use your video for a terrestial source.

My Pioneer 433MXE is being delivered tomorrow (wed 30th) and I post a complete review along with connection issues etc.

3. mikeq

mikeq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I decided to go for the Panny 42" (4 series) due to the excellent reviews it has received and the high praise it receives here. I didn't even consider any others.

I think you need to make your choice of plasma first and then worry about the connections, you will certainly get lots of help here.

For me the Panny has the best picture.

If you want ease of use (i.e. just like your telly) then you may want to include the manufacturers tuner box, by no means cheap and I have heard the Panny tuner gives a poor quality picture.

Just for your info this is what I am going to do

I am getting the Panny with BNC connections.

Attached Files:

4. sapper

sapper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141

5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Your choices are pretty much what most people on these forums think

I have a Panny 42" (and love it) the picture is real good, as is the Pioneer, and sat side by side you really could not split them

Funnily enough the 43" Pioneer is only 1" bigger but when sat side by side it looks more than an inch bigger???

one thing to note the Pioneer 43" comes in 2 flavours Silver HDE model with Tuner
    the MXE model is charcoal gray no tuner

the Panasonics come in silver and black

just to add the prices you quote for the HDE model, it can be bought for around £4300

6. lloydo

lloydo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If it helps anyone Hi-Spek on the Hatfield -St Albans road have the Pioneer/Tosh(Panny Clone) and JVC (who cares) all showing simultaneosly the Pioneer demo DVD.

Shows exactly what everybody says about these displays i.e. darker contrast on the Panny but Pioneer looked sharper and brighter.

Got my wife to decide which one she thought was best it kind of went, the Tosh(Panny) better colours and darker, image changes, oh no the Pioneer, and back and forth she went. Great help!

They had a firework sequence and Tosh(Panny) was alot better on the dark sky but the clarity on the Pioneers image was superb on brighter images.