1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Plasma

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by lpro, Jul 29, 2002.

1. lpro

lpro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK after heaps of searching etc, kinda wittled it down to the panny THX and fujitsu 4234.

Just need a bit more help here

2. codlord

codlord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I can't comment on the Fujitsu, but I can say I am VERY happy with my Panny TH 42" - absolutely great picture quality.

3. lpro

lpro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Seems everyone is happy with their panny purchase (I'm leaning more that way), however Sevenoaks seem to be pushing more people towardss the fuijitsu 4233 /4. Just wondered why, have to say it looked very good. Price not much difference so any experts out there???

4. Kirk

Kirk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hmmmm may just be your local Sevenoaks.....the one near me was practicly drooling over the Panny/Tosh Plasma's only two weeks ago :D

5. YYZ

YYZ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I haven't seen the 4233/4 but I have its predecessor the 4229. Basically they have given the contrast a boost to 1500:1. I love the screen but I have had to add a line doubler or de-interlacer, the iScan Pro to all feeds to remove some vertical banding on poorer signals such as sky. I now put a 576 progressive scan feed into the plasma from all sources and I have what to me is a fantastic picture with very little noise on most sources. Even on a composite feed from my old Ferguson video and a hired tape I get a dream of a picture, for composite that is. But check out the screen, it may be a similar price to the Panny but if you find the above problem and I have seen threads reporting it as well as magazine reviews of the Fuji 50'' with the same problem you may end up forking out another £600-700 pound for an iScan to remove the artefact. The panny is a great screen and at the current prices it will probably take some beating. But shop around, at the end of the day you can forget the stats, particularly be careful of quoted contrast ratios. If your eyes like it go for it.

One other bit of advise the real test for a plasma is how it deals with dark video scenes, brightly lit images look great on most screens, give it a blast of Seven or the Matrix however and on low contrast screens colours become muted and false looking and detail is lost. Take a DVD of your own along and use that as your test disc.

Happy shopping

6. ajbird

ajbird
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the 4233 and I cant imagine how a dvd image could possibly look better - cant tell the difference between the prog scan and interlaced mind you - they both look flawless.

mind you the image from the sky dish is as average as you would expect.

cheers

Andy

7. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    I have a panny and really am taken with the image. It can look very life-like indeed given a decent source and thus emerse you into your viewing.
    The thing possibly to be wary of with the Fuji' is its ALIS screen which some people see flicker from - so a thorough demo would be essential.

8. phil_evans

phil_evans
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    encaser,

I think the Fujitsu 4233/34 is actually based on the Panny 42" glass - hence why it looks great. All the other Fujitsu 42" panels are ALiS based and don't look so great (same glass is used in the Philips 42PF9964, Sony Plasma TV, Hitachi etc).

Phil

9. phil_evans

phil_evans
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here's more on the 4233. (4233 is the commercial, 4234 is the consumer). Looks good, but doesn't confirm the glass source. I've seen the 4234 and Panny 42" side by side in Bentalls and my bet is that they are the same glass. Given the press release was alongside the 50" 5003/4 which IS Panny glass, seems a good bet. With the AVM technology the 42" Fujitsu sounds nice (the 5002/4 is generally rated slightly over the 50" Panny). Can the 4233/4 be had cheaper than the Panny 42?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=120104&highlight=4233

10. YYZ

YYZ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The fuji 50'' models use panny glass, hence the 3000:1 contrast ratio, all other models incl the 4233, 4234 use their own glass, altough it should be noted the neither of these screens use the ALis technology but they do have AVM.