1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

which Plasma?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by grimboy, May 14, 2005.

1. grimboy

grimboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

I posted a question in the LCD forum, asking about a 40" LCD display,
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=212292

however I guess I am still considering a plasma screen and could do with some advice.......

Here my requirements....

42" Screen
    For use with a Media Center PC - PC usage as well
    High Res - 1024x768 or 1366x768 (which ever is better - i think the later
    therfore keeping square pixels?)
    Budget £2000 or less
    1 Scart for alternative input from other DVB (contingency for the Mrs if the Media Center stops working)
    Won't be using Sky - Dual freeview tuner in the Media Center PC.

DVI would be nice...

Not to fussed about HMDI/HDCP

Can anybody throw some suggestions my way..... I know I need to spend to get quality, but I guess the cheaper the better...

Cheers,

Dan

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Your budget is a total showstopper I'm afraid. Nowhere near the cost of a 40" LCD, and though you might get 43MXE1 pioneer, not with a video card you wont, which leaves some vital video modes unavailable to you. Tone down your aspirations or up the budget.

3. grimboy

grimboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What!?! You're having a laugh! Sorry I did not make myself clear!

My budget for the screen is £2000, not for the lot...... The screen has to support the media center!

And for the 40" LCD what about the one I mentioned at be-direct or digiuk thats going for around £1700.... I think thats well within the £2000 budget, so what I'm asking is there as plasma that could fit as well?

Dan

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    No, you are the one having a larf, a HD plasma is well over £2k.

5. grimboy

grimboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Right I ment with respect to the LCD - what's your views on that if you dson't mind?

If I'm having a laugh, what sort of prices can I expect?

Is £2500 a more resonable budget?

Dan

6. grimboy

grimboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maw,

Whats you suggestion then - whats the best I could do and for what price?

Dan

7. GAC

GAC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    could grab a hitachi 42" 7200 for about £2k from a few places and yes its hd ready with hdmi dvi-d and componant.

although dont ask what its like setup as im waiting for mine to get swaped :/

8. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    2.5k could score you the HTPC plasma of choice, the MXE1 from Pioneer. 75Hz native res on DVI for smooth PAL 25fps video (if you can't divide the frequency by 25 the picture will judder, move in little jerks on pans and slow moving objects) It's XGA, ie some aspect ratio troubles, but not with TV or DVD, software can cope. Avoid Hitachi for HTPC, they have no such thing as native res, and will only do XGA on VGA input, at 60Hz.

9. grimboy

grimboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Maw,

Say I was to downscale and go back to want SD screen, what would you recomend in that case....

I know the screen would be crap for pc usage on the media center, but for the actual interface what do you think?

I could always have a normal monitor for doing those things, or remote desktop?

Dan

10. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Well quite a few folks here use Panasonic PWD7 panels, and run them at 1280/720. It works well, the screen is particularly good at scaling this res, it's 720p video essentially. You can run your desktop at that. Not as good as an XGA plasma (MXE actually about 2350) but hey, life's not perfect is it?

11. grimboy

grimboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maw,

Right I've scaled down as you suggested and got it down to one of the following....

LCD - RZ37LZ30
    This would give me the nice HD resolution, but I'm a little worried about motion blur.

Plasma - TH37PW7BX
    One of the SD screens you recommended. Could screen burn be an issue though with HTPC use?

Can you give me the low down and your advice on these two for HTPC use.. ie what can you feed them as what resolutions (50Hz screen flicker thing you mentioned?) etc through either VGA/DVI ports....

You advice would be greatly appriciated....

Can anybody else comment on these screens?

Cheers,

Dan

12. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    The LG could be good, though I don't think it can do native res at 50 or 75 Hz on DVI. Of course neither can the Panasonic... Not much known about the LG, their website is shockingly bad for info, and don't bother ringing them up, you'll just find out why the web site is bad! The panasonic will take 1280/720 at 50 or 75 Hz, on VGA. Not saying the LG won't, but I have no personal experience and the info is not out there. Screen burn is not usually an issue, just ordinary care is sufficient. Don't leave the same picture in place for hours on end, use a screensaver, and put it into standby when not in use. Not too hard is it?