1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Plasma?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by neal122, Jan 3, 2005.

1. neal122

neal122

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am currently debating the following 50" screens and would like views/opintions on which would be the best one to get on an overall scale.

- Panasonic VIERA TH-50PV30
    - Panasonic TH-50PHD7
    - Pioneer PDP-505XDE
    - Pioneer PDP-50MXE1

Budget aside I am getting increasingly confused regarding all the new high definition stuff going around and whether it really is as big as we are making out.

Maybe it would be easier to assist me in the screens not to get, narrowing my selection down. ;)

I have seen the panny VIERA in the flesh and looks amazing. Picture was faultless and the unit itself looks great and was my first choice. I am however now looking at others on the market and these two seem to be equally as good and better in some aspects.

i loved the picture quality of the VIERA and assume the PHD7 woujld equal that of the VIERA set. what else differs these two screens?

What are the differences with the two Pioneer models? The Pioneers look very impressive (moreso the new XDE) and have read supports most/all the new high definition outputs. Is the picture quality as good? is it worth the loss in image quality for the technological advances?

I'm quite stuck as to where I should go with these. Any help would be most appreciated.

2. neal122

neal122

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone assist me at all?

Many thanks

Neal.

3. Intenso

Intenso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I compared the 50" Viera with the 50" Pio yesterday both with a HDTV signal. The Pio won on account of its more vibrant colours. The 50" Pio also apeared to have greater defintion in comparison to its smaller 43" version. I was very impressed with the 50" Pio.

I also compared the 42 Viera with the PW6 and again the Viera was more vibrant in terms of color. The PW6 also seemed softer in its focus.

4. peezee

peezee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One thing I can tell you: I've seen a demo of the Pioneer PDP-505XDE with a regular PAL DVD (I don't think it was upscaled), and was really, really blown away by the quality of the picture it produced. Still strongly present in my mind, though that was more than 2 months ago.

Not a "pixel too much", no motion blur or stuttering/judder (on a car race and crush sequence, very challenging motion wise), great reproduction of skin tones, blacks (i.e. black hair, black jeans or sweater), shade details too. And I was standing a mere 5 feet from the 50" screen... :eek:
    Btw: looked much better overall than its 43" sibbling (435HDE) strangely, imo anyway... (but that was another demo environment)

In summary: don't skip this Pioneer by any account. Not to mention it's fully ready for Sky HDTV (and any other future HD source, from what I can tell). :clap:

5. neal122

neal122

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Today I managed to see the 43" versions of the Panasonic Viera and Pioneer XDE screens.

There was so little difference between the two that the Pioneer looks to be the one to go for for HDTV support.

The panaonic looked slightly more vibrant, but not enough to convince me it was better.

I gather by the other posts made the XDE would be the one to go for? I only saw the 43" but am sure the 50 would be qually as impressive.

I know this should be posted elsewhere, but I have also been looking at the Sony LF1 home theatre system. Would this be a decent system to go for? It does look and sound very impressive from my perspective.

What do others think?

Cheers

Neal.

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    WAs PW6 using a scart conection by any chance???? Veira is a PW6 dressed up........ so it was probably down to settings or connectivity........ interms of 50" Veira is lacking..... 50PHW6/7 is better buy add a scaler etc for optimum results.............. or go the PIO 505 route.... 50" needs a scaler IMO (exception being the 505 pioneer which is pretty good but a panel and scaler always wins in every demo i have seen for PQ if not for connectivity

7. Intenso

Intenso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Not sure re connectivity, although the store seemed to be using component on most of its more expensive displays. Probally scart though.

Anyway, had a look at another PW6 today in RS via Svideo and the vibrant colours of the Viera were all there. Picture was nice although resolution was a bit low.

Q. (sorry if this has been discussed elsewhere) what are the diffs PQ wise btw PW6 and PW7. Also do the HD versions of these screens retain the vibrant colours with more res. Are they worth the extra.

The RS deal on the PW6 seemed good. I noted however, that the component boards that they were selling were not Panny and were made by Toshiba. I wonder if there is much diff btw these?

1 last Q. Is it poss with the PW6 to simply connect component outputs with a modified lead to the VGA in?

Thanks for any repsonses.

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    with PW6 yes............

9. Intenso

Intenso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Hmmm.... on this basis the RS deal looks tempting. Would I be able to connect the Telewest digibox to the Panny EMR85 via scart and then connect the 85 to the vga via component out or is the compenent out only for use with dvd's?

respect