1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Plasma?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Rich1701, Jan 1, 2005.

1. Rich1701

Rich1701

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am a newbie to the Plasma arena and would very much like anyones views on the following models:

Pioneer PDP435XDE v Panny TH42PE30

I have a about 3K to spend and swayed toward the Pioneer due to the HDMI connection and the greater resolution. However, I don't think "What Plasma" liked it as much as the HDE and suggested it is better suited to the DVD than satellite.

The only thing that really bugs me about the Plasmas is the extortionate prices for accessories. I mean we all have to hang it or stand it up somewhere!!

I am also slighty put off by SKY's plan to introduce HDCP in 2006 as I cannot find a TV that is compliant with HDCP.
    Thanks

2. wicket

wicket

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I love the TH42PE30, just got it before Christmas so I would recommend it. It has won a lot of awards. This tv is often sold with a free stand/wall mount/tabletop stand. I was not too bothered about the fact that Sky will be broadcasting HD in 2006. The boxes are probably going to be expensive and I do not tend to take on new technology straight away in any case. So we are enjoying our new 42 inch screen now.

One word of warning though once you get a big screen tv you will never want to go back to a 32 inch or below screen. It makes such a difference.

3. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +468
    that's definitely true...I moved my 32" into the family room where we have sky+ and the xbox and ps2 but now it feels like a portable!

4. rufus

rufus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Rich1701,
    Got My Pio 435 Xde Just Before Christmas. Dont Take Any Notice Of That Review. I Think The Picture Quality Is Excellent, Especially If You Use The On Board Digi-box For Viewing. Also Got Sky + Coming Soon.
    Also The Quality Feel To The Remote & Media Box Is Also Excellent & Packed With Features.A Thing Of Beauty "GO FOR IT :thumbsup: "

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    currently the PIO XDE/FDE TV's are the only ones compatible with Skys proposed HD service the panny is excellent for a TV but the lower price of the pio with HDMI and HD resolution is making it more and more attractive especially if you plan to be an early adopter of sky HD

6. charlie55

charlie55

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    i have had my viera since june04 excellent plasma tv
    i had the pioneer 434 on loan from local hi-fi dealer and i would not slag it at all more future-proofed than the panny.720p,hdtv,hdmi.etc.but i had 800 good reasons to buy the viera from JL plus 5 year warranty which i consider more important.
    maybe its my eyes but hdmi was not worlds better than component certainly not as much as the home cinema comics would have you believe.
    anyway who believes sky won't :censored: up hdtv anyway with their track record.
    last but not least the only thing i can say in the negative about the viera is stay away from the normalize button or all your settings will be lost in a button press!.
    p.s. if anyone knows how to disable it please let me know.

7. Rich1701

Rich1701

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Rufus,

Thanks for the reply, can I be rude and ask where you purchased the XDE. Stand or wall mounted

Thanks

8. Rich1701

Rich1701

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was having a look around today at the normal retailers Currys Comet etc to try and get my mid made up but the way they have their plasmas set up really annoys me. Do they honestly think they are going to sell anything in the plasma range showing a picture supplied via an aerial lead.....

Anyone know a good showroom in the Worcester/Birmingham area.

Thanks

9. JTT

JTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    The Hitachi 42PD5xxx range are HDTV ready I believe, they have got good reviews and are available from about £2k

10. Calvados

Calvados
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'm afraid I know next to nothing about TV technology so I've been reading comments and threads for the last few days in a n attmept to answer the most basic of questions.

CRT or plasma? (for less than 2K)

There are a lot of knowledgeable posters here and I've learned a lot. But just when I thought I'd gotten over the plasma screen-burn horror stories and decided that plasma PQ could be good I started reading all these threads and debates about Sky and HD!
    Yikes!

Now I am not a purist and I'm not looking to have leading edge technology but here are my questions for those with the knowledge:

Will 'normal' (SD?) signals become obsolete with the introduction of HD?
    If not, I'd be happy to have a plasma today with the intention of keeping it for at least 3 years.

I've just moved into a new house, does it make any difference to my options that I receive Sky via a communal dish which supplies 8 houses?

What do people think about renting? Is it not a good idea to rent a decent plasma for a year and wait for things to settle on the HD front (and by then prices may have come down further).

Really appreciate any advice.