1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Plasma??

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by andloumeg, Aug 13, 2004.

1. andloumeg

andloumeg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know I will probablyopen up a can of worms here, but I am currently in the market for a Plasma which will be technically excellent, but will also 'Look nice' (my wife has her priorities straight!).

I have read lots of mags, and seen a lot of posts, and I know it is very much down to opinion, but some hints would be handy.
    I am currently torn between the Hitachi 5200, Panny Pe30, or the Pioneer 434HDE. The only problem I can see with the Panny, is that it is LoRes, so will this mean it will not be compatible with HDTV???

Any help would be appreciated!!

2. Parklife

Parklife

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    The Panny PE30 does not support 720p which is probably going to be the route sky go down for their HD service. The PW6 however does and will accept 720p, and even though it will downscale it it will still give an improvemnt in PQ. If you have a bit more to spend tkae a look at the PHD6 (has a higer resolution than the PW6) or the pioneer 43MXE1 (coming soon).

All the above are only applicable if you have an amp and sky or cable!

If not then both the PE30 and 434HDE are good direct replacements for a CRT. Personally I would avoid the Hitachi, but there will be plenty of others who would disagree!

The 434HDE would probably swing it for me being able to display 720p, but I would (and have) go for one of the monitors.

Hope this helps

Plife

3. Bearded_Malc

Bearded_Malc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Here http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/plasmatvreviews/panasonic-resolution.html they compare the Panny 1024x768 vs 853X480. Their conclusions are that for 480 sources i.e. DVDs etc, what we have today, the low res one is better as it is not converting the signal 2 pixels to 3. Which if you think about it makes sense. So the choice of resolution depends a lot on what you plan to do in the future, stick with DVDs or be leading edge and go HD.

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    HD will cost more but in 3-5 years will look better than an SD unit, if can afford 4.5k i would reconmend PHD6 and Iscan HD.

5. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    The lo panny is about 2k
    In 3-5 years plasma tech will have moved way on and a HD
    is unlikly to cost more than 2K then, and will probs be better than todays.

so save yerself some cash and buy the 2k lo res model...then in 3-5 years
    upgrade to a nice new one.

6. lapman22

lapman22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello Boys (and girls? , I couldn't trace one here as of yet... ;) ),

Being a new member and all , this would be my first post. I've been reading eagerly the latest posts here , and I must say the volume of data is just overwhelming! :smashin:

As some other newbies here I'm now checking the water in preparation of taking a plunge and buy myself a 50" plasma panel.

As the current tread is about the "Which" question , I would mention the Pioneer PDP504HDE. From what I've been reading this one has it all , and on top of the technicals scores very high amongst it's loyal owners. I would assume that it's 43" sibling scores the same points.

Joe Fernand , one of the traders here has been giving me his insight (cheers Joe!) as to why this is such a good option. I would probably take him up on his offer for the free DVR , Amp , speakers , stand and cabling that comes with the panel...... (just joking Joe! :laugh: ).

However some questions have been raised about the lifespan of the plasma technology , and I'd like to hear you're comments on that front. Like PJclark1 here , I presume the technology is a key feature in choosing a plasma panel. I've been reading that the LCD technology is more advanced , and would probably replace the plasma within 2-4 years. Why isn't everyone here go for the LCD panels? Is it true that plasma screens are losing their brightness after 2 years . :confused: :confused: ?

Anyway , Hope everyone is enjoying their weekend , especially those seating in front of their plasma TV watching the footie. I know that's what I'll be doing tomorrow at 1500 (come'on ya reds!!).

Cheers all,

Lapman.

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    OK please tell me where the HD panny is £2k?????
    50" main choice are Pio 504/5 coming soon, also Panny PW6/7 50", or Fujitsu XHA 50"

8. lapman22

lapman22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just to add to my earlier post , I've stumbled on the following review that compares plasma with LCD panels.

overall the plasma scores better , especially in PQ. However there is one point where the LCD scores and that's one of the things that holds me back from spending 4K on the Pioneer straight away.

http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/plasmatvreviews/plasma-vs-lcd.html

LCD manufacturers claim that their displays last, on average, 50,000 to 75,000 hours. In point of fact, an LCD TV will last as long as its backlight does-and those bulbs can actually be replaced! Since this is nothing more than light passing through a prismatic substrate, there is essentially nothing to wear out in an LCD monitor.

Plasma, on the other hand, utilizes slight electric currents to excite a combination of noble gases (i.e., argon, neon, xenon), which then glow red, blue, and/or green. This is an essentially active phenomenon, so the phosphoric elements in plasma displays fade over time. The half-life of these gases is approximately 25,000 to 30,000 thousand hours. At this point, the phosphors will glow half as brightly as they did when the set was new. There is no way to replace these gases; the display simply continues to grow dimmer with use.

Advantage: LCD x 2. LCDs are especially good for long-haul applications like 24/7 signage.

Now , although I'm not about to leave my screen on 24/7 , It does seem that after 4 years it's PQ will begin to degrade.

Any comments on this?

:lease:

Cheers,

Lapman.

9. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    Plasma's have longer hours life than most CRT tubes. Also either my understanding of plasma technology is way out or that report is not entirely accurate.