1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Plasma.........

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by whiteswan, Jul 4, 2004.

1. whiteswan

whiteswan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Hi

Okay I have decided to journey over to the dark side..............

I have been using a Pana ae100 projector for about 12 months now (with a Draper Luma screen) and have been blown away by the results.

However I am moving into a smaller property (gonna cash in on the housing boom whilst I can) and a projector screen is out of the question in the property I am going into. As floor space is at a premium - a wall mounted Plasma seems the ideal solution.

Probably going to go for a 42" (as there seems a massive price jump upto 50")

I use the projector mainly for viewing dvds and sky plus...........i route my Sky through the JVC DMR 1 Dvd recorder which takes any signal you put into it and outputs it progressively via component out to the Pan ae projector.

I assume this is the same with Plasma? I even put my divx player via svideo into the JVC Dvd Recorder and it outputs a prog scan pic to the projector.

So what are your recommendations?

Also where can I get a decent demo around Manchester/Oldham area?

I am selling my current property with my complete Home Cinema set up as part of the sale - so will be looking for new amp speakers etc as well - budget for everything is £5000.00 ish.......... the only things I am taking with me are Divx Player, JVC Dvd Recorder and Sky Plus.

So would i need extra boards etc for the Plasma?

I am a complete novice when it comes to these screens so would appreciate some input.

Thanks

Dave

2. whiteswan

whiteswan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Well loads of views and no suggestions?

Anybody?

Dave

3. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,022
    I'd recommend a display without the tuner & speakers, as I think it will suit your set-up. For std def, the Panny PW6 (£2200 ish all in), for high def, the Panny PHD6, Pio 43MXE1 (both around £3K, Panny the higher of the 2) or Fujitsu (which I haven't seen, but is popular). You'll need to choose a board with it to take component input.

Whether you go for the higher def or std may depend how much of your budget goes elsewhere. If you haven't already, have a look at the amp & speaker forums.

4. whiteswan

whiteswan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Thanks for that.....

I have a motorised sat system as well and i know that hi def broadcasts are available on that, so maybe a hi def compatible plasma is not such a bad idea - i think i would need a new sat reciever as well.

Are there any models due out soon i should look at, i guess i will be in the market to buy in approx 3 months time.

Dave.

5. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,022
    Yep, the Panny 7 series should be out in a couple of months. But you'll get better prices on the 6 series, and I'm not sure how much of an improvement it will be - people prefered the 4 series to the 5, and the 6 wasn't a great leap (I think some still prefer the 4?).

The Pio MXE1 is only just out though, so I'm sure you'll here more about it - not least from me when I get one in a couple of weeks.

6. Dean

Dean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    :rotfl: ur having a laugh mate ain't ya? ok i can see how there may not be a huge difference from one generation, but ppl who preferred a 4 series to a 6 must have their eyes checked lol

7. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,022
    I'm sure I was reading comments along those lines, although I could be mistaken :)

8. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    You are not mistaken, and how many PW4's broke down, and how many PW6's? The 6 does have amazing contrast, but it's the only area where great strides have been made, and the 4 series is still 'blacker' than a current Pioneer, which loads of people are justifiably happy with. You have at least 3 months before the 7 series, then you'd be paying the early adopters premium, whereas the 6 is currently only just more expensive than something awful from Currys.

9. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,022
    Now that's definitely true. Although any normal person (and there are none on this forum) would think £2k is a silly amount to spend for watching tv, the PW6 is great for the money. The Pio is only £800 more though :) for Hidef viewing, and a 2" bigger screen!

10. junkpuppets

junkpuppets
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    if the series 7 is only 3 months away anyone know the difference between it and the series 6?
    cheers