1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Plasma

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by tfishuk, May 15, 2004.

1. tfishuk

tfishuk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would really appreciate some help I am about to buy my first plasma and I cannot decide which to purchase.

I am torn between the new Panasonic TH42-PE30 42 Inch Plasma Widescreen Television

and the Pioneer PDP434HDE
    Plasma 43" 16:9 Incl Tuner

Both are roughly the same price by the time you add £500 to the Panasonic for the very expensive stand.

Thanks

Tony

2. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +303
    I considered the Panasonic before deciding on the Pioneer. Both have their pros and cons.

The pioneer is a HD display (whilst the panny is SD) so is a bit more futureproof and provides a more detailed picture. I liked the fact that the Pioneer has a seperate media unit as I am planning to wall mount and didnt want to have to many cables going up to display. The Panny is a right pain to wall mount - it will stick out about 3-4 times more than the Pioneer from the wall. The Panasonic does have digital freeview built in whereas the Pioneer only has an analogue tuner in the media box.

The Panasonic is also supposed to have better blacks but I watched Lord of the Rings on a 50 inch Pioneer via HDMI and was simply blown away by the picture. Detail levels were awesome, there was an absence of noise even up close and colours rendered perfectly. Lord of the Rings is a pretty dark film and even the blacks looked spot on. I also watched a Euro HDTV channel which was stunning on the Pioneer - you will only be able to watch a HD transmission as SD on the Panasonic (caveat though - when and if decent HDTV channels are broadcast in this country).

I preferred the look of the Panasonic but overall the Pioneer did it for me. However, Im surprised you havent found the Panasonic to be at least £7-800 cheaper than the Pioneer on an equivalent basis.

3. tfishuk

tfishuk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks for that reply I have found it very helpful. I think the cheapest Pioneer I have found is £3600 from Web Electricals they have it on Special Offer at the moment.

The cheapest Panasonic I have found is £3545 from Hughes online (this price includes the very expensive stand which I shall need if I went for this model)

I am almost persuaded to go for Pioneer.

4. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +303
    You can definately get the panny cheaper than that. Also try and buy it from a bricks and mortar shop or a reputable internet site. I have never heard of Web Electricals. Some of the forum sponsors may give you a good deal. Where are you based ? Find a local dealer that sells both and do a demo.

5. Elvis

Elvis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Richer sounds sell the TH42-PE30, they don't have a price on their website but it's probably worth giving them a call.

6. tfishuk

tfishuk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rags

Thanks for your comments, I agree that buying from a"Bricks and Mortar" shop would be sensible and I am considering John Lewis were I have always bought my tvs from in the past.

However they are top prices and in some examples almost £900 more expensive than some of the online dealers, but of course I do take into account that they give a 5 year guarantee.

I live close to Reading in Berks so there is plenty of choice.

7. jpd2

jpd2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Richer sounds orginally had the PE30 listed as £2600 but then replaced the price with ???? to probably try stopping the JL pricematch

8. Ridcully

Ridcully

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Just out of interest why don't you consider the panasonic TH42PHD6BX, if HD is one of the issues

9. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +213
    Tony,

I was in your shoes a year ago - deciding between Pioneer or Panasonic. The way I made my mind up was to go to a good, keenly priced shop that has the technical skills to be able to set both up properly (I used The Media Factory near Edinburgh, but AV-Sales is more your neck of the woods) and look at them both. I preferred the Panasonic.

It's a shame you didn't get to The Event II last year, as they had a bunch of plasmas set up side-by-side and preference was split fairly evenly between the Pioneers and the Panasonics. In fact a lot of people said they preferred some scenes on the Pioneers and some on the Panasonics!

Cheers,
    Liam

10. Gazzad

Gazzad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Panasonic do a standard desktop stand for the PE30 for around £120 instead of the very expensive floor stand.

11. rooster-x

rooster-x

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Has anybody bought a Panasonic TH42PHD6BX yet?

I am interested because of the High Definition capabilities, but in the spec it quotes a lower contrast ratio and doesn't mention the Real Black driver technology of its TH42PW6B brethen.

I would like to know if the picture is as good or better than the TH42PW6B?

Cheers

Tom

12. Elvis

Elvis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For some reason (someone more technically minded than me will no doubt know why) the high def panasonics have always had a lower contrast rating.