Which Plasma to order next week ?

Juiceloose

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,

Am a relative newbie to plasma and have to admit all of the various connections leave me totally confused. Just got my annual bonus so intend to place an order next week.

Current kit consists of Ferguson VCR, Toshiba SD220E DVD, Denon 3802, original Pioneer On-Digital Box and Gallo Nucleus Micro's and sub.

My viewing position is exactly two metres from whichever screen I purchase and I have the following Panny's in mind: Viera 37inch, 42PW6 or 37PW7.

I visited AV sales this week and Ben and Hayes were brilliant in talking me throught the various options. They eventually recommended the following:

Ditch the VCR for a Panasonic DVD 85
42PW6
More modern Freeview box (if poss with optical out)
3RCA-VGA Component lead
QED AV2105 Scart
QED P75 Coax

Can you experts and users out there advise me of the following:

1. Will the above provide me with the best quality picture ?
2. Is 2 metres too close to sit and watch a 42 ?
3. If so would you recommend the 37PW7 or the Viera so I could do away with the free view box.

Other alternative suggestions are more than welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Steve.

Not much to add, only av sales are brilliant people and there advice theyve given to me in the past has been spot on.

I use QED scart and component cables and they are great cables,

and 2 m from the screen should be ok as that is 2 x screen width

It's a personal thing, but I find 2 metres far too close. On Panny screen, line structure will be very apparant, given the lower resolution. Depends if this sort of thing annoys you or not. General distance / rule of thumb is 6 to 7 times screen height, I think?

Horny,

What do you mean by "two very different looks and sizes" ??

I realise that size wise the 37 Viera is as a big as a 42PW6 because of the outer frame around the screen.

If 42 is too close for 2 metres, would I be better off with a 37PW7 than a Viera 37 ?

What is the PACE twin you refer to ?

Cheers,

Steve.

I'd be interested on opinions on the Panasonic TH42PWD6 too. They are currently £1690 in Richer Sounds which seems a good deal unless there are drawbacks I'm not aware of.

My PWD6 is great but you will need a couple of extras
Universal plasma feet £50 from richersounds
SCART Terminal board £120 (or JS SCART plasma to VGA box + SVGA cable)
Use your exiting HiFi for the sound.

Sceptic,

Have a look in the Special Offers section for AV-Sales offer on the PW6. I'd much sooner spend my money with them than RS.

Steve.

Juiceloose said:
Sceptic,

Have a look in the Special Offers section for AV-Sales offer on the PW6. I'd much sooner spend my money with them than RS.

Steve.
RS is a better option for me because I can pick up rather than having to stay in waiting for delivery.
So is the PW6 a good deal at this price? What do you guys think?

Thats as good a price as your going to get anywhere

I can`t decide I want the pan pwd6 from richer sounds
But I`m tempted by the Daewoo DP42 at richer sounds
1299.00 I cant seem to find a review only for the daewoo dsp which I presume is not the same plus I think you dont need extra sockets for the daewoo
Is it really bad and would I regret it, seen it in the shop there does not seem much difference in screen quality between any thing I have seen less than 3 grand
Help

Do NOT get the Daewoo, unless the most you can spend really IS £1300. It really is very bad.

When you think about it, why skimp on a few extra hundred when spending 13 of them? Why not stretch a little and get the one of the best performing 42" plasmas instead of a bad one?

Don't Richer Sounds insist you get the Panasonic delivered otherwise they will not cover you if damaged + you get 30 days to change you mind if you pay the delivery charge. Also aren't they special order only? I bought the PW7 from AV Sales and would highly recommend them - Panny was delivered direct from them to me so no overnight stay with some careless delivery firm. Whatever you do don't let Richer Sounds persuade you to buy something else that they have plenty of - their favourite trick ;)

Yes it's fanless and has one PC input which most people use instead of the Scart board as it's supposed to give a better picture (scart is a bit soft). So you buy a JS Labs Scart to VGA convertor. Plug the scart into the convertor and then use a VGA lead from the convertor into the PC. That way you get a better picture and because you don't need to buy a scart board doesn't really cost you much more. Depends on if you want to connect up your pc. If so you would have to keep swapping the lead or buy a VGA board for a second PC connection (£75).

Have spent two days looking at the panasonic 42 in our workshop. Brilliant picture for a plasma and would not hesitate to get one for myself if I wanted a plasma - £1700 from Richer sounds - very good price. No fan, but my goodness it gets hot. Check what option cards Richer are supplying. regards, yt.

red16v said:
Have spent two days looking at the panasonic 42 in our workshop. Brilliant picture for a plasma and would not hesitate to get one for myself if I wanted a plasma - £1700 from Richer sounds - very good price. No fan, but my goodness it gets hot. Check what option cards Richer are supplying. regards, yt.

Bit concerned about this heat issue. Exactly how hot are we talking ? When I buy one, I'll be wall mounting it, but I have two young kids, so would appreciate some info on this issue.

thanks,

Johnnypanic

I've had my PW7 on all day and have just felt all around it and although the screen and the back are warm it's certainly not hot to the touch - obviously affected by room temperature and it is quite cool today. These are designed to be wall mounted so shouldn't be a big problem. Where exactly on the Plasma is the hottest point?

my PWD6 is a lot cooler than I was expecting!
The screen is not hot like the original plasmas.
Just a bit of warm air from the rear vents, no hotter than my 32" philips CRT Tv.

Thank you for your comments,

General concensus having searched other threads appears to be that 2 metres is too close to sit in front of a 42".

If I go for a 37 which is the better picture, the PW7 or the Viera ??

Juiceloose said:
If I go for a 37 which is the better picture, the PW7 or the Viera ??
I'm in the same boat... I can't decide between the 37 Viera or the 37pw7.

The Viera downside is the front VGA port, but if the pw7 doesn't have any speaker outputs for my hi-fi then it's no good for me right now.

I'd like a pic quality comparison also though (brightness, banding, etc.) :)

Andy.

Andy,

Forgive my ignorance but why would I need to use the front VGA input on the Viera ??

I would be using my AV amp for sound should I buy the PW7 so I won't need individual speaker outlet connections.

Steve.

you would use the VGA port if you wanted to connect your PC

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom