1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Plasma should I buy?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by starion, Oct 6, 2003.

1. starion

starion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am looking to buy a plasma in the very near furture.

I was thinking about the hitatchi 42 inch model but is it best to go for the monitor panel 42PMA400E or the TV 42PD3000.

Both look impressive although I had herd bad things about tuner boxes in general.

I was also considering the new panasonic 6 display but havn't seen one on display anywhere. The 5 series display was poor and not a patch on the Hitachi even on a good day ie with out the flicker. But Panasonic do make some bold statements about the new panel. Any one seen the new Panasonic side by side with an Hitachi?

Any help would be appriciated including other displays which might warrent a look.

Thanks

Mike

:)

2. adewatson

adewatson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "The 5 series (Panasonic) was poor"

your opinion or based on what you've read?

Dependent on your preferences I would choose carefully as it's highly likely that the same opinion will be delivered on the Hitachi whenever a new model is brought out.

3. AndyGo

AndyGo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been auditioning sets all week (with my own eyes !) To me the Panny 5 is the best, seems more cinematic than the hitachi by a long shot. I've auditioned most of the main brands and try to ensure they have had reasonable inputs with same DVD's etc. Hitachi looked to edgy & harsh in my opinion. Looks like I'm off to buy a Panny 6 this week !!!!

cheers,
    Andy G

4. adewatson

adewatson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was quite lucky in that my local richer sounds had the Hitachi PMA400 and the Panny 5 on the same wall with identical inputs. I found both models V good but the Panasonic won mainly as it seemed to have the edge on clarity and black levels.

Also the Panasonic can receive a Progressive signal whereas the Hitachi can't. If I can predict one thing it will be the endless drive to upgrade your kit once you have a plasma (scalers/videoprocessors/prog scan DVD/HDTV when it becomes available) so you may as well buy a panel which can cope with this urge.

Having bought a Panny 5 and lived with it for a little while I can honestly say it's the best thing I have ever bought (especially compared to my previous Samsung and LG plasmas)

The most important thing is your own eyes/perception so get demoing.

5. starion

starion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well thats interesting guys, I was basing my remarks on viewing with my own eyes.

I went in 3 or 4 shops in London a month or so back so see which was the best panna or hitachi. I only found one shop with both in.

There was a panna 5 and an Hitachi 400 side by side with the same sorce. Now maybe the panna was setup ****e I dont know but there was no compition between the 2 the Hitachi had much better contrast and colour and detail. The panna was a good picture but was not in the same league as the Hitachi.

The guy in the shop said the hitachi has a much better colour circuit and was a higher resolution panel. He also mensioned that the way pansonic meansure contrast is diff to every other manufacture so the constrast ratio claims were a bit meaningless.

I did see a panna showing a dvd in one of the other shops and the flicker was realy bad, couldnt have watched it like that. Now that put me off. Interestingly the shop with the hitatchi had no flicker on the panna.

A friend has a panna 4 and the picture is bril so go figure was hopping that we had a new pannel to rival the 4.

Need to find a store with both in so i can take an objective view me thinks

Mike