1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Plasma Pioneer or Panasonic

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by loopylou, Mar 23, 2005.

1. loopylou

loopylou

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm looking for advise about Plasma TVs. I've decided to go with either the Panasonic TH42PE or the Pioneer PDP435FDE. Am I right in thinking that the Panasonic is not HDMI compatible. Also one other thing I have noticed there is a Pioneer reference numberPDP435XDE, does anybody know the difference. This is a big outlay, so I have to make the right choice.
    Many thanks

2. gslater

gslater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
  3. nak

nak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    The Pioneer is a sexy screen, however it just cant hit the contrast or black levels like the Panny. I went for the latter, and I'm glad I did.

Also there are HDMI boards out there if you search hard enough. Expect to pay £200-250 (cheaper than scaler though)

4. Costas

Costas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    The XDE has also digital terrestrial tuner included. For me I checked again again and the Pioneer was always better.....

5. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "The Pioneer is a sexy screen, however it just cant hit the contrast or black levels like the Panny"

I personally would take all opinions with a pinch of salt and use your own eyes to make the judgement.

I have just bought a pioneer PD43-MXE1 [1024*768] after reading in the forum all sorts of dire warnings about poor constrast, crushed black detail, poor black levels and the panasonic being much much better.

However, in an initial 2 hour viewing/mess around last night, I have to say that the whole thing was actually a whole lot better than I had been lead to expect.

Pioneer sell high perceived value screens - I don't think they would be able to do that if they were totally rubbish.

I have only seen the panasonic screens under non-ideal viewing conditions but I would caution anyone reading contrast ratio specs [I think panasonic quote 4000:1 ] to take those with a sizeable pinch of salt too.

Intended use plays a big part - whether you are a tinkerer and don't mind messing around, or whether you want a plug and play solution. At the end of the day I think it's a bit too simplistic to pretend that one thing is the silver bullet to the expense of all others.

When I bought my projector - I paid a lot of attention to the forum and got the 'in' projector at the time. However, looking back, all things considered I could have done better (my Sony HS10 has a good picture but I've always found it too noisy) and hence what was good for one person isn't always the best choice for another.

6. loopylou

loopylou

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the info. I am going to opt for a Pioneer. Costas should I go for the one with the Digital Tuner XDE

7. superpixel

superpixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think your options should be either the Pioneer or the forthcoming (next 2 months) Panasonic Viera 500 (which is properly HD-ready with HDMI and is a high-resolution panel).

I would rather have the Panasonic any day, simply by virtue of the Pioneer TV's media box being so poor (unlike the MXE panel only). I for one wouldn't want a Pioneer FDE/XDE at any price, let alone close to £3000: its unwatchable for me.

As for contrast, this affects the whole picture, even on quite bright scenes...and a single figure doesn't tell you specific information. Blacks aren't pure black on the Pioneer for sure, but dark scene detail isn't lacking at all...I can't see anything on a Panny that I can't see on a Pioneer...if anything the Pioneer is better. And what's the brightness or white level like on those Panasonics? Still, I'd love to have the new Viera...and definitely over the Pioneer any day.

8. Drd

Drd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +243
    Loopylou,
    I've had a Pio 435xde for a little over a month and I'm delighted with it.If you read in detail on this forum you will see many comments from people who are delighted with their xde's and many who seem less happy with their fde's.The screens are identical so the media box(perhaps the digital tuner) must be responsible.I,like many,spent a great deal of time reading the forum and very nearly bought a Panny ,but after Horny's megatest decided to revisit the Pio and came to the conclusion it was best for me. I get the impression from the various comments that Panny owners say Panny is best,whereas Pio owners seem a little more open-minded and say go see for yourself :D .I'd certainly say the latter,decide how and why you want to use your screen,go see lots of screens,go see them again,make your own mind up after viewing and enjoy whatever you choose.
    Regards
    Ian

9. Costas

Costas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    Best on price and with all other features included...I would say YES.

10. Costas

Costas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    1. Yes debated for a long time here and a total myth as far as I concerned. Pioneer produces excellent blacks and very real. And perfect with ISF calibration. People keep talking about blacker blacks... but what does this really mean? At some point it becomes unreal and unatural with loss of detail!

2. Just bear in mind that Panasonic measures contrast with a different method.. unfortunately do not remember exactly but has been covered somewhere ni this forum. So you cannot directly compare with others like Pioneer.

11. loopylou

loopylou

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I've been trawling through loads of paperwork that I printed off website links. I have read that the Pio XDE is not wall mountable? Anybody aware of this, or is it just a myth. I may be mis-reading the info.

12. Drd

Drd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +243
  13. Costas

Costas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    100% wall mountable. See the accessories on Pioner's website www.pioneer.co.uk

14. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    True, it's the panasonic that's more problematic, it's got a bulge on the back that needs spacers on the mount to make it work. the resulting screen is a bit thicker than you may be thinking! This is fine with Eastenders, but you may have a little trouble with Question time.

15. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What is the intended use of the panel?

There's no use in buying a panel with a media box / integrated tuner if you have no intention of using it or don't need it. Then you just have needless electronics cluttering up the signal path.

If you already have sky or sky+, you can use that as a source directly, for example.

Likewise you don't need a 'media box' to be able to play DVDs. Virtually any panel is going to be able to take a component output from a DVD player or RGB/S video depending on the player and the display.

Are you paying for things you will never use?