• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Which Plasma - Panasonic TCP42X2 or LG 42PJ550

M

mikeandeddie

Hey guys, hoping to get a little feedback here.

So after going back and forth in my head for the past few days, I think plasma is the best way to go considering both price and the fact that I'll be using it primarily to watch sports.

Anyway, I think I've narrowed it down to two models. My main hang-up is the price differential and whether or not the additional "features" are worth it. Keep in mind, this is my first HDTV purchase, so I'm looking for entry-level, but don't want to throw money out the window either.

I'm going between the Panasonic TCP42X2 priced at around £480

and

the LG 42PJ550 priced at around £365

Basically, I want to know if the Panasonic is better to justify that price difference. Basically the main points that were argued in store were:
- there's an anti-glare coating on the screen
- there's a very low susceptibility of burn in
- that Panasonic had pioneered plasma technology, and
- that Panasonic was simply "better" than LG.

However, I'm a cheap bastard, so I want to know if it's really worth it in the end.

One downside is that the LG I would have to purchase online, so I wouldn't be able to see it set up properly and whatnot. Hopefully, that's where this forum's insight comes in.

Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:

RustySpoons

If your on a budget and looking at the LG range, Have a look at the PK models as they are better than the older PJ models, the PK350/PK550/PK950 etc isn't a bad set at all for the money.

M

mikeandeddie

If your on a budget and looking at the LG range, Have a look at the PK models as they are better than the older PJ models, the PK350/PK550/PK950 etc isn't a bad set at all for the money.

I checked and the PK models are way out of my price range, so it's not really an option in that respect. Also, none of them appear to come in a 42" model. Anything larger than a 42" I feel would be too large for my apartment. Regardless, still way out of the price range. Looking to spend £450 max.

Originally, I was hoping to be spending less than £400, but once I got to comparing LCD to Plasma and brand names to "no-names," I just don't want to be spending less money (which is still a lot of money) on something I'll ultimately be less than satisfied with.

The more I've thought about it, the more inclined I am to get the Panasonic based on anti-reflection and less chance of burn in. I think spending the extra there would be justified assuming those things aren't total BS.

Last edited by a moderator:

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom