Which Plasma is best for under £2000???

L

leejones

Buying a new HD plasma seems like a minefield with so many options and no doubt loads of good and bad choices to be made. I am looking for 37-42 Plasma with SKY HD and XBOX 360. Has anyone got any definitive recommendations? Am I on the right lines with LG, Hitachi and Samsung?

Get the Panasonic 42PX600

Wonderful machine.
I just got it from John Lewis (Kingston) who price matched to Empire Direct and totalled to just over £1,700. (incl.
I was given the option of either a pedestal or a cabinet stand - i chose pedestal.

I'm getting the Panasonic home cinema system to go with it (the 855) - it's gonna be sweet

:thumbsup:

Are you looking for an all in one TV with speakers, tuner, cabinet, etc included or do you already have Sky and Surround sound to connect to it?

Thanks for your recommendations -
I only want the tv to mount on the wall. Got sky and sounds etc. Getting put off by people having probs with a variety of plasmas though. Just want one which will do the job simply and consistently. Looking for 37-42.

In that case, it's best to go down the panel only route, as there's no point paying for a TV and then not using half the supplied stuff.

By choosing a panel rather than a full TV, all your money will be spent on picture quality, as opposed to an integral tuner and a cheap pair of speakers, etc.

My personal favourite is the Panasonic PHD8 for HD or PWD8 for SD. Excellent picture quality for approx £1K - £1.5K. It's fully customisable, so you start by choosing the panel, and then what inputs you want to the screen (ie HDMI, component, etc).

I've got a PHD8 - breathtaking picture, so if you want any advice on this particular screen then just ask. :thumbsup:

thanks for that. has it got all the right connections, HD component, hdmi etc?

Well, as standard the screens come with a VGA input and S-Video input, so you could connect say, Sky+ and PC as standard. You specify what inputs you want by purchasing additional input boards which are then fitted to the panel (it's a bit like fitting a graphics card to a PC).

You can get component, HDMI, SCART, DVI, etc depending on your needs.

If you want to put the plasma up on the wall, you're best just having a component or HDMI board in the panel and then running your Sky, Surround sound, XBOX/PS2, etc through an a/v reciever. That way you only get one video cable running up your wall - much neater and easier to polyfilla! :smashin:

PlasmaVirgin said:
In that case, it's best to go down the panel only route, as there's no point paying for a TV and then not using half the supplied stuff.

By choosing a panel rather than a full TV, all your money will be spent on picture quality, as opposed to an integral tuner and a cheap pair of speakers, etc.

My personal favourite is the Panasonic PHD8 for HD or PWD8 for SD. Excellent picture quality for approx £1K - £1.5K. It's fully customisable, so you start by choosing the panel, and then what inputs you want to the screen (ie HDMI, component, etc).

I've got a PHD8 - breathtaking picture, so if you want any advice on this particular screen then just ask. :thumbsup:

I totally agree. You only need spend £1-£1.5k. My PWD7 is superb.

Hi,

I'm in the same market i.e. sub £2000, however, the wife has only agreed to let me have a plasma if I get a "glossy black" one. That's wimmin for ya!!!
Now I've looked at the Pioneer 436SXE which is a great set but not a patch on the Panasonic PX600's, however, Panasonic is Silver :suicide:

I've noticed a few of the other Panasonics look black from the website but is it glossy black?, I haven't been able to see anything in the shops. I've also noticed that the new Samsung's have glossy black but they don't appear to get any good writeup's.

Can someone please help me I'm going nuts. Anyone got a good sub £2000 glossy black 42" plasma which is worth the money?

Thanks,

Bazza.

PlasmaVirgin said:

im thinking this is the route to go but with the hdmi sockets etc the price will be more than the px600 and even more paticularly if one adds a scaler-if the pq improvement is significant a couple of hundred does not matter but to get the this kind off diff im getting the impression one needs a serious scaler and this may push the price diff to £500.

your thoughts please

azz

Well I've got a new Panny PHD8 which I have just unboxed to check out before selling it (although from what I've seen I am more than tempted to keep it for myself!) - superb panel. Probably second only to Fujitsu 58 series out of all the plasmas made.

There is no need for a scaler unless you want to start spending serious money and search for the best ever picture quality in the world. In most people's opinions, a PHD8 without any scaler will put every other screen to shame except for maybe the £3Kish Fuji. But if you did add a scaler in the future, you'd end up with a picture even better than the Fuji 58 series for probably less money. Great option for future upgradability.

In my reckoning it would cost around:

PHD8 Panel: £1250
HDMI / Component / etc board: £75 - £125
Wall mount / pedestal stand: £65 - £125

So for around £1400 you've got one of the best screens money can buy. :thumbsup:

I agree with plasma virgin having had my 436xde pioneer swapped for the pHD8 (with refund!) it beats the pioneer on every point except what it looks like off(!) the surround makes the screen look classy...not to say the phd8 looks cheap its just you see these everywhere now (tescos, shopping centres etc..)

azz said:
im thinking this is the route to go but with the hdmi sockets etc the price will be more than the px600 and even more paticularly if one adds a scaler-if the pq improvement is significant a couple of hundred does not matter but to get the this kind off diff im getting the impression one needs a serious scaler and this may push the price diff to £500.

your thoughts please
azz

I have never even seen a scaler! :rotfl:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom