Which PJ Mit HC5000 or Sony Pearl??

FATCAT40S

Well after 18mths and 550 hours with the HS50 Im getting an ichy wallet (well credit card) finger and Im looking to upgrade my pj to make the most of the 3930’s 1080p upscaling.

I was looking at the Sony Pearl but recently the Mitsubishi HC5000 has caught my eye because on paper its got everything I want for about a grand less than the Sony and from what I have read the picture is brighter so its better when there is ambient light.

Also I am hearing that the Pearl has some problems and it may be replaced later this year, any truth in this or is it just urban myth?

Im not interested in the H80 or H81 because they don’t have any lens shift and I wont consider Panasonic following their disgusting service when I had problems with my PTAE700 (5 Replacements over 12 months and each one was worse than the previous so I ended up getting the HS50 in the end)

So what do you guys recommend? Has anyone got experience with the Mitsubishi? and or with any problems with the Sony Pearl or do I hold out for the prices on the Sony Ruby to drop but then again£1500 for a replacement bulb scares me.

Many Thanks in advance

John
:thumbsup:

gandley

the pearl is a pretty decent projector, and ahead of the mits in everything but sharpness IMHO.

The VW60 is the replacment to the pearl and is out on or a little after september the 20th.

It adds a few improvments that make for a very nice projector and from what ive read pretty much deals with all the pearls issues, the biggest being the panel alignment issue. this has now been addressed.

I could not see the mits competeing with the vw60 on anything but price. Price for the vw 60 has not been set here yet.

perhaps wait a mth and see what gives.

spooney

Please note it is fall, the IFA is ahead and Mitsubishi will present its new HC6000 and as far as I understood a smaller model.

Actually this is the worst time of the year for upgrade-itis. All major brands are about to announce the new stuff :D
You will have a hard time to decide.

gandley

spooney is quite right you have IFA berlin and CEDIA coming in just a few days. its well worth waiting to see whats about.

linnite

Please note it is fall, the IFA is ahead and Mitsubishi will present its new HC6000 and as far as I understood a smaller model.

Actually this is the worst time of the year for upgrade-itis. All major brands are about to announce the new stuff :D
You will have a hard time to decide.

The HC6000 will still be LCD though, right?

I'm no expert, other people will tell you better, but as a rule you get what you pay for, and the new Sony, the VW60, will be better than the HC6000 but will be more expensive.

If your projector will get used extensively, I'd get the best one you can afford. With maybe a few exceptions, that will be the most expensive one you can afford.

Paul

K

Kanowsky

Just had a chance to compare both these models recently.
Well, unfortunately only 30minutes with each, so couldn't set them up properly, just a bit. Sony has a very nice picture, but lacks brightness, so sometimes scenes seem dull comparing to Mits. Mits has enough of brightness in normal mode and it sharper but I wouldn't say that VW50 has problems with sharpness. They both are VERY quiet, PS3 makes much more noise :)))
For me extra 1k in not an issue, but I would prefer HC5000, because lack of brightness is noticable no matter how I tried to make VW50 brighter.
AFAIK, both VW60 and HC6000 won't change brightness parameters (900 and 1000 respectively).

Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong:smashin:

FATCAT40S

Thanks for your replies:)

I think I will hold off my upgrade for a while yet,
thought the new Pearl would have been a tad cheaper seems
a bit excessive at £3500.:eek:

What I forgot to mention was size, my PJ is on a 290mm wide shelf
wall mounted over the sofa, I can increase this to 370 but no more
as we would bang our heads every time we got up so this limits my choice

So I will watch this space.....and add a few more hours on my HS50

John

nm10721

Banned
i have the hc5000 and it is absolutely stunning projecting from 19ft onto a blank wall (awaiting delivery of beamax screen). I would recommend this projector wholeheartedly.

Neil

sahara_desert

So what do you guys recommend? Has anyone got experience with the Mitsubishi? and or with any problems with the Sony Pearl or do I hold out for the prices on the Sony Ruby to drop but then again£1500 for a replacement bulb scares me.

Many Thanks in advance

John
:thumbsup:

Well actually it costs 1472£ incl. the "Pearl"!

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom