which pj for corporate presentations?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by chrisgeary, Sep 8, 2003.

1. chrisgeary

chrisgeary

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    im hoping someone can give me some advice about what to is a reasonable PJ to buy for corp presentations. it needs to accept vga cables obviously, needs to be reasonably portable and not too loud. all our rooms are white with venetian blinds (ie not much light control!) and will mostly project powerpoint presentations on to a white wall/board or maybe a screen!

any advice greatly appreciated.

cheers

2. TimF

TimF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unless you need to present to large audiences on a huge screen any cheap PJ will do the job.

A good buy right now would be a s/hand panasonic 100. Quite a few people are upgrading to something better for home cinema and these can therefore be had cheap.

Light and portable & easy to set up

Unless you need to go really bright eg rear projection huge screen then pana 100 easily up to the job - just turn off the lights and the image will be readable - venetian blinds will improve things even more.

Need to handle with care as its not the most robust model around but I have been using one for presentations for the last 12 months no problem - reasonably quiet and plenty bright enough for presentations.

Short throw means you can get a good sized image without putting the pj in the audience!

All the best

Tim

3. stevelup

stevelup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,097
    Hi

I don't believe the PTAE-100 is a good choice for presentation work for a couple of reasons.

1) It is a native 16:9 projector. Presentation work is almost exclusively 4:3. You will struggle to get visitors laptops working correctly at a native pixel resolution on the AE100

2) It is not very bright. The requirements for a presentation projector are quite different from those required in a home cinema. High brightness is the primary goal, with the contrast ratio being of secondary importance - the complete opposite to what is normally preached in these forums!

3) Robustness - the PTAE100 is pretty flimsy. If it was your own projector, you would - I'm sure - take good care of it... But will other people be using it? Can you expect them to take the same care of it?

Take a look here (Ivojo) and you can see projectors arranged by price and brightness.

There are many choices in the budget presentation sector - with the Plus U4-111 being exceptional value for money. It is twice as bright as the PTAE100 and is also a native 4:3 projector.

Steve

4. TimF

TimF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Agree its not the absolute "on paper" best choice but my advice was based on experience - not just a shopping list.

Whatever you "believe" I have actually been using one successfully for over a year for this purpose - The Pana outputs 4:3 or 16:9 - simple menu command.

I complete training seminars weekly all over the country with this machine - guests turn up with their lap-tops and plug straight in to SVGA.

Also good for video via laptop dvd or svhs.

As to brightness - plenty bright enough for "classroom" type presentations

- I said it was a bit flimsey but hey - you get what you pay for -

Our other business pj is proper sony business jobby - smaller and more robust - Cost around £1200 - quoted brighter but in use no clearer.

The sony is of course is better for day to day use (smaller box!)every day but my point was that you can get away perfectly well with a pany 100 and pick one up for £350 SH or £600 new/recon.

Never let me down and if price is important there are lots around -Oh and the bulb lasts a long time so its cheap to run.

And you can take it home at the weekend and have some real fun with a 7" wide telly!

All the best

Tim

5. stevelup

stevelup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,097
    Hi

I don't doubt that the PTAE100 is usable for presentations.

My recommendation was based upon what the OP actually asked for.

Also, the PTAE100 in 4:3 mode is only running at 640 x 480 which is a very low resolution by anyones standard.

All I was saying was - that for the same money as a PTAE100 you can get a smaller, brighter, lighter and more robust projector - which would admittedly be rubbish for home cinema - but which would be exactly what the OP asked for!

Steve

6. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    I'm not biased ( ;) ) of course, but I think one of the Philips bSure projectors would fit the bill perfectly.

1500 ANSI lumens, so bright enough for daylight viewing, accepts PC signals from up to UXGA resolution so it's future proofed against your lap top upgrades, is portable, has a big built-in loudspeaker (good for watching the footy/sports) and is virtually silent at 27dB fan noise (a whisper is 30dB. 27dB is half the noise level of a whisper). Lastly the average lifetime of the lamp is 6000 hrs and the projector will also work for home cinema too. There's a 3yr warranty with the first 12 months an on-site loan replacement service.

Trawl the net for some prices on the bSure SV2.

Regards

7. chrisgeary

chrisgeary

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    ok.. thanks everyone =)