1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which phones don't blank the screen?

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones Forum' started by PAH, Oct 11, 2005.

1. PAH

PAH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi,

I'm thinking of changing phones as I can't be doing with the screen blanking out all the time when I'm away from it, as I'm always having to check for missed calls/messages/texts etc. I need it to be on silent so can't rely on any audible notifications. Currently the best solution I've found is to make sure it's in a certain position (i.e. lined up with something else on the desk) and if it's moved due to the vibrating when I get back I know something's happened, hardly a feature I should need to rely on!

Can anyone give me an idea of makes/models that give visual indicators of missed calls/texts? The phones in the shops always have dummy screen images so you can't find out without being harassed by sales people!

I suppose now many models have the high-res screens that the screen has to be switched off when not in use so the battery lasts more than a few hours! Another case of design over functionality.

I was looking at the K750i (prefer it in black or silver instead of the white w800i and it's the same phone underneath) and D600 but they both have the black screen issue. Maybe a clamshell with the external screen, such as the V3, though most clamshells are designed for girls I'm sure, and I'm not a girl!

2. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    The SE W800i doesn't switch off it's screen, and has the time on there constantly, and a big graphic of an envelope for texts or a big u-turn arrow for missed calls, yes, the light of the screen goes off, but the display doesn't blank out.

My old MDA III PDA phone also had a red light that blinked for missed calls and text messages too. But it is quite big for a phone, great gadget, but I didn't need it in the end and sold it.

3. Crocodile

Crocodile
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,572
    Anyone got anything to add to this? It does seem daft that with a low end Nokia, you have to unlock the keypayd to enable the backlight just to check for missed calls. Are things any better higher up the Nokia range?

4. JayCee

JayCee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,909
    I'd be interested to hear of any others too.
    I just upgraded at the weekend from a Nokia 6210i (mono lcd) to a Nokia 6230i and I miss being able to glance at the display for messages or missed calls...okay the 6230i doesn't blank completely but it's very dim :mad: ...I'd gladly sacrifice the camera, video player, mp3 player and radio for useability anyday.

5. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    I'm running a Nokia N70 and before that a 7650. Both these phones will turn the backlight off after a set period but then a screensaver kicks in which can display date/time/missed calls/received SMS messages.

You can also get 3rd party screensaver apps so I am currently using XXL ScreenSaver V1.09 with my own custom graphics for the Saver and the phone will still display missed calls and incoming SMS's.

*EDIT* Missed calls are indicated by a red phone icon and SMS's by a yellow envelope icon.

S.

6. JayCee

JayCee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,909
    The XXL screensaver sounds good...where can I get it?
    Does anyone know if the Samsung D600 has a screensaver option?

7. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    http://www.gosymbian.com/

S.