• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

which phone ?

BName

Banned
Hi which of thee phones is the better of the three ? I am looking for volume and a large clear screen. Or would you recomend something other than those ?

Philips S10A Premium Cordless
Telephone with Answer Machine.
Philips - IFA 2012 - Philips S10 and S9 premium cordless phones

Siemens Gigaset SL400A Cordless Phone with Answer Machine.
GIGASET Gigaset SL400A Digital Cordless Telephone with Answering Machine | Pixmania UK

iDECT iHomephone 3 Telephone with Answer Machine - Single.
Buy iDECT iHomephone 3 Telephone with Answer Machine - Single at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for Telephones.

blue max

Distinguished Member
Before you ask why people are looking and not answering...

Not many will have tried them all. I have Panasonics myself. Always bringing new models out though. Overall I'm happy.

Also think people tend to use their mobiles too. I have VOIP on mine and works better than the home phone.

DPinBucks

Distinguished Member
I've been generally unhappy with Panasonic DECT phones. The first set we got failed, luckily just before the warranty ran out, and we got a replacement without problems. But a quality product shouldn't fail so soon.

The replacement model was missing two very important features (important to us, anyway) which we didn't discover until a bit later:
  • The answerphone doesn't beep; it just flashes an unobtrusive red light, which makes it a real pain to try and remember to check it;
  • There is no way of showing the handset ID on the display (we have 4 handsets). That's also a real pain; I've had to stick labels on the backs. It matters because we use the intercom feature a lot, and you need to know which handset is which.

blue max

Distinguished Member
I've been generally unhappy with Panasonic DECT phones. The first set we got failed, luckily just before the warranty ran out, and we got a replacement without problems. But a quality product shouldn't fail so soon.

The replacement model was missing two very important features (important to us, anyway) which we didn't discover until a bit later:
  • The answerphone doesn't beep; it just flashes an unobtrusive red light, which makes it a real pain to try and remember to check it;
  • There is no way of showing the handset ID on the display (we have 4 handsets). That's also a real pain; I've had to stick labels on the backs. It matters because we use the intercom feature a lot, and you need to know which handset is which.

Not sure these lack of features are common throughout the range. Mine have larger colour screens and the id on the display. They were close to the top of the range though. The handsets show there has been a message.
We work from home, so maybe it depends on your situation.

I'm surprised they failed though. But I'm sure any can. I've dropped mine on many occasions!

DPinBucks

Distinguished Member
Not sure these lack of features are common throughout the range. Mine have larger colour screens and the id on the display. They were close to the top of the range though. The handsets show there has been a message.
We work from home, so maybe it depends on your situation.

I'm surprised they failed though. But I'm sure any can. I've dropped mine on many occasions!
TBH, I can't remember why it failed, but it did become unusable quite suddenly. It wasn't dropped.

And also TBH, our current model is fairly low down the list; but we've had cheaper units from other manufacturers which did have the features, and I was quite surprised, and not a little annoyed, to find these didn't.

I have dropped one of the current handsets with the result that half the display doesn't show, which is also a nuisance but entirely my own fault.

Have you noticed how difficult, and expensive, it is to buy a single slave handset, of any make? They're all supposed to pair with each other these days, but I'm uncertain enough to take the plunge, especially, as I say, when you see how expensive they can be.

Update: I've just checked on Amazon, and prices do seem to be down. Maybe I'll have another look around. They don't seem to do slave sets, and I don't want another master, but other places do them.

=== EDIT ===
FYI, this is the model:

https://www.panasonicphones.co.uk/p/259/panasonickxtga641handsetonly

At that price, I think I'll get one, assuming I don't want to upgrade the whole thing, which I might.

Last edited:

Exemplar

Banned
I always stick with the big brands as the cheaper ones (idect specifically...) do tend to be a bit poo.

I usually buy from www.telephonesonline.co.uk as they do great refurb deals. Recently we bought a BT branded (Siemens) set reduced from £130 to £30.

Large colour screens, intercom, SIM card compatible, call transfer etc etc.

blue max

Distinguished Member
I bought mine on the bay. Quad sets are usually great value - even if you don't need four, you have a spare(s).

Just do lots of research on the model range, so you don't end up with last years model or one further down the range. They often keep adding features and have a plethora of models.

RBZ5416

Distinguished Member
Have you noticed how difficult, and expensive, it is to buy a single slave handset, of any make? They're all supposed to pair with each other these days, but I'm uncertain enough to take the plunge...
Ebay's normally quite good for additional handsets. While other makes/models will almost certainly pair with your base station, you may well have nothing but basic call function.

chakota

Established Member
I got one of these ..... gigaset SL910A fantastic phone , looks and feels like an iphone . Highly recommend this one. ;)

Attachments

• phone.jpg
    phone.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 81

alphaomega16

Distinguished Member

BName

Banned
Are these any good ? Panasonic KX-TG 8561

vinny41

Prominent Member
Hi which of thee phones is the better of the three ? I am looking for volume and a large clear screen. Or would you recomend something other than those ?

Philips S10A Premium Cordless
Telephone with Answer Machine.
Philips - IFA 2012 - Philips S10 and S9 premium cordless phones

Siemens Gigaset SL400A Cordless Phone with Answer Machine.
GIGASET Gigaset SL400A Digital Cordless Telephone with Answering Machine | Pixmania UK

iDECT iHomephone 3 Telephone with Answer Machine - Single.
Buy iDECT iHomephone 3 Telephone with Answer Machine - Single at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for Telephones.

For volume is that Ringer Volume or talking/listening volume or both
if it is its worth checking out which manufacture list these figures
Do you want a phone that provides good volume as a hands free speakerphone and at the same time supresses background noise

Might want to check out the Amplicom PowerTel range most of their phones are listed as
35dB Volume for talking/listening & 90dB Ringer
which is loud enough to wake the dead

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom