• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Which Phone ?

andyb190

Established Member
Both SWMBO and I have come to the end of contract (18 mths is a very long time) and are looking at new contracts/phones. I have recently got a 6 week old Magic and love the OS and general coolness of HTC phones.

I was looking at getting the HD2 on contract and a sim only unltd internet deal. Then recent issues with the HD2 put me off this so I spent this morning looking into alt phones and ,as a Nokia lover, the N900 popped up on my radar.
Reboot issues (and the very complex workarounds) put me off this aswell.

Where do I look now? Are there any really good contracts out there that OMIO.com doesn't pull up ?

I'm thinking of going SIM only for a month or 2 so that all the glitches in the new phones can be worked out ?

What does everyone think ? Rob M83..as the user of all phones, what do you recommend ?

RobM

Distinguished Member
Bear in mind you only ever hear the bad stories on the internet, so don't panic too much about negative press. If you do get a phone and suffer, send it back for warranty replacement :)

Have a look at the following:

iPhone
HTC Hero
Motorola Milestone
HTC HD2

If you've got the money to spend up front, also consider the Google Nexus One and perhaps switch to a SIM-Only contract, where you don't commit to a long contract, you spend less per month but you don't get a phone as part of the deal.

If you're in no rush to get a new phone, then you could hang on for the new iPhone (June/July), the HTC Bravo or the Sony Ericsson X10, all of which aren't too far away. Spoilt for choice, really :)

andyb190

Established Member
Bear in mind you only ever hear the bad stories on the internet, so don't panic too much about negative press.
Yeah, but in some cases (n900) they are truely scarey. Poor Nokia CS and no fix even after recent update.
iPhone
HTC Hero
HTC HD2
Apple really grip my sh1*. They suck cash out of their customers when they really should release the best phone they can ! If they did I'd buy it in a NY minute.
I love the Hero but, like the Magic it's a little small.
HD2 on Virgin was an option but the recent posts on HD2 thread don't bode well
If you've got the money to spend up front, also consider the Google Nexus One and perhaps switch to a SIM-Only contract
Have lots of cash but the OH would be upset at N1 current price. May wait for that to come down a little or come on contract.

If you're in no rush to get a new phone, then you could hang on for the HTC Bravo :)
That's the crunch point; is it or any upcoming phone worth waiting for ?

RobM

Distinguished Member
The HTC Bravo is likely to be a Nexus One with the HTC Sense UI. Slightly different cosmetically, but otherwise the same.

The Sony Ericsson X10 looks very good on paper. But SE have a tendency to take a perfect recipe and royally screw it up. Plus they keep putting the launch date back...

Otherwise, excluding the iPhone which you obviously don't like, I don't think there will be much coming out that is truly ahead of the game. Even the Bravo and X10 are variations of existing formulas.

The Nexus One will be coming to Vodafone soon though, so if the handset looks good but the price will result in divorce, perhaps wait for Voda to launch it? It should be significantly cheaper on contract than SIM-Free.

andyb190

Established Member
The HTC Bravo is likely to be a Nexus One with the HTC Sense UI. Slightly different cosmetically, but otherwise the same..

That's what I'd read on here. Has yours arrived yet ?

The Sony Ericsson X10 looks very good on paper. But SE have a tendency to take a perfect recipe and royally screw it up. Plus they keep putting the launch date back...
Not an SE fan and this could be why.

Otherwise, excluding the iPhone which you obviously don't like.

I liked the phone, not the mercenary tactics. Fortunately these have now left it looking a little stale and lagging behind on processor speed, customization etc. Perhaps they'll pull their finger out now ?

perhaps wait for Voda to launch it? It should be significantly cheaper on contract than SIM-Free.

Will prob do this anyway.....assuming you don't find anything wrong that is.

chelsea.tone

Distinguished Member
I used to dislike the iPhone, without ever using one :eek: Now i wouldnt be without one. Simply the best overall handset on the market.

andyb190

Established Member
I used to dislike the iPhone, without ever using one :eek: Now i wouldnt be without one. Simply the best overall handset on the market.

Agree it is excellent all round but is starting to look a little old hat.
I get angry when I think of how good they could make it if they could be arsed and put aside the corporate leeching. So much that I refuse to buy one !

andyb190

Established Member
I'll wait for the HTC Bravo to be honest...that is if you are willing to wait :D

Got a Magic I don't mind using for a while and the OH has a N95 8gb that'll do for now. Prob get a couple of Virgin SIMs and use them for a few weeks and see what appears.
The Bravo does sound good but the fact that I have an uncle in the states who could buy the N1 and send it me sans tax;). is bugging me right now.
Decisions, decisions.

bubs999

Prominent Member
I've just got rid of my buggy Nokia N96 after suffering for almost 18 months!
I would never buy another Nokia running symbian again (had 2 crap ones now)

My wife has an iPhone, so I decided to buy an HTC hero and its superb. I bought a sim free one, so that I wasn't tied into a contract and could sell it and buy a different one if I didn't like it, however after just a week with it, I don't think I'll be selling it soon. I would say, its just as good, if not better than the wife's iPhone 3G. It could do with a few extras, like a flash on the camera, but I'm happy with it.

Spy

Prominent Member
When is the Bravo due out ?

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom