Which phone to get: Sony Xperia Z3 or Samsung Note 4

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones Forum' started by popc0rn, Jul 3, 2015.

1. popc0rn

popc0rn
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hey,

I am in the market for a new smart phone, having been a HTC user for a while. I have been using One M7 for last couple of years and love its body design.

I am looking for good battery life, decent camera and user interface. I love Htc Sense, but want to change as I have had htc phones for 5+ years now.

I am also a design whore, so the phone needs to look pretty. I feel that Note4 is a perfect business phone, while Xperia is a right mix between business and pleasure.

Ofcourse Z3 is also easier to handle due to its size. I feel Note 4 may be quite large to carry around, but not so sure yet. I am unsure about the Touch wiz and Xperia UI.

Whats your opinion on this?

2. popc0rn

popc0rn
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I am leaning slightly towards the Sony due to its good camera reviews, battery life etc, but totally unsure about its UI and lags if any at all.

Also, I can get my paws on Dual Sim Sony, which is a plus when going abroad etc...

3. Dodgy_Geezer

Dodgy_Geezer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +298
    I'd definitely go down the Sony route. The Xperia Z3 Compact has awesome battery life and a fantastic camera. The Z3 is identical but a much larger handset. Both are waterproof.

That's not to say the Note 4 isn't a good bit of kit. It might sound petty but the lack of an FM Radio on a Note 4 really annoys me and I find it just too big to use one handed. Lovely screen though which is larger than the Z3 but with a chassis that is only a little bigger. Also has a removable battery which is a bonus.

The UI of the Sony is good with stellar media apps from Sony but rooting it can be a bit tricky as the bootloader is locked.

You might also want to consider something like the Lenovo P70 which has a monster 4,000 mAh battery, really good solid build with excellent front and back cameras and is much cheaper than the Sony and Samsung. The stock Vibe UI on a Lenovo is very much like an iPhone too so it's simple to use.

Finally, check out the Huawei the P8, which is pure class and fantastic to hold. It's more of an iPhone than the iPhone and makes the Note 4 and Sony look cheap in comparison. Like the Lenovo, it has a UI like iOS but the battery is not so good as the P70.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2015
  4. popc0rn

popc0rn
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I did go down the Sony Xperia Z3 route. Apart from the flap on the USB charger, whats not to like on this smartphone ?

Btw, I went for copper color, as it quite stands out...

5. Foster1984

Foster1984

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +191
    How are you finding the Z3?

I'm trying to decide between this, LG G4, Samsung S6 and Nexus 6.

6. popc0rn

popc0rn
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    To be perfectly honest, its awesome. The battery life is super long and the software is pretty solid too.. I would say its competitor is Nexus perhaps. The other 2 are a level down, based on what I read...

7. popc0rn

popc0rn
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Good luck with whatever you decide...

8. Foster1984

Foster1984

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +191
    I've read that the UI is pretty close to stock android, which sounds good, and the battery is a big draw for me.

Do you find the UI quick to move around or does it lag?..I was concerned a little bit about lag with it being on an older processor. Also, have you had any issues with the phone getting overly hot, due to the 'heat' issue?

9. popc0rn

popc0rn
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The UI is very close to Stock lollipop, which actually makes it really easy to get used to. I have used various htc phones previously, and got too cozy with the sense ui, almost too cozy. But I got used to the Sony UI within a few hours. Thats a big positive.

The processor is SD 810, which is pretty powerful, so there is no lag in usage of phone functions, camera etc etc...

In terms of overheating, I am based in Saudi Arabia, where it gets 40'C and above these days regularly. I just came to Australia for holidays, where it is winter time. In both cases, I am sitting at pretty much 30-32' C usually. Only accassionally it rises above 35, and that too for a few seconds and then it comes down to usual.

HTH.

10. Foster1984

Foster1984

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +191
    Oh, I thought it only had the SD801, must have read it wrong! That is much better. :)

So it hasn't had the issue where it shuts down due to being too hot? I've read that on a few reviews, but there was talk of afirmware update to stop it, which might have happened already.

11. popc0rn

popc0rn
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sorry for getting back so late to you.

The Xperia Z3 indeed comes with 801 processor. I have never faced shutdown due to over heating.

Although, every time I fire up 4K recording, it gives a warning about overheating. I think its a default message, and nothing to do with current temperature of the phone set at that time.

12. darthmauler

darthmauler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    If it helps I sold my Note 4. There were several reasons behind this for me.

1. I found the battery life to poor. I wasn't getting past about 8pm with normal use. If I had a train journey during the day, I would struggle to get past about 6pm.
    2. When I got the phone it was on KitKat. It was fine. As soon as it updated to Lollipop it went to pot. It started lagging and crashing repeatedly. The battery life also suffered. A lot of this was fixed when Android 5.1.1 came out for it. However that was nearly a year later. Having a phone in a near unusable state for a year sucks.
    3. KNOX - the e-fuse on this will trip if you install a custom rom or root the phone. This might not be an issue for you. For me, being unable to even root the phone was a big negative. With the delays in roms, being unable to flash a custom rom was also a real pain. (Yes you can do these things if you don't mind voiding your warranty)

For me, it was the worst experience I have had with a smartphone in years.

13. popc0rn

popc0rn
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I went with Xperia Z3 and never been happier..

14. darthmauler

darthmauler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    LOL - just noticed the original date. :)

Yes, I think you made the right call.

15. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,617
    Very surprised by this as in the Note 4 thread the killer battery life is often cited. Much, much better than Nexus 5. I have taken the phone out for all-day-trips taking photos andsharing online and do not even bother with a spare battery as it is so good. And with that said it appears you did not opt for the spare battery anyhow. There are though certain settings that are a drain such as letting the phone auto switch from WiFi to data and vice versa.

16. popc0rn

popc0rn
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Not sure why OP is/was having issues with his Galaxy 4. My brother was quite happy with his. But this Xperia Z3 is just phenomenal. Sleek, Dual SIM (I have SIMs in both slots always connected), very natual colours. I love it.

17. darthmauler

darthmauler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    On another forum I use, battery life was a big complaint among Note 4 users on this thread. I didn't use a spare battery, I had a UAG full body case and taking it off and putting it back on was a chore.

I tried every trick in the book to eke more life out of the battery. It was OK on KitKat at first, but Lollipop just killed it until 5.1.1