1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which phone/PDA?

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones Forum' started by Stuart Wright, Mar 6, 2005.

1. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,660
    Hi Folks,
    I'd appreciate some advice please.
    Believe it or not I have never owned a mobile phone. I'm sat at my computer 16 hours a day, basically.
    But there have been occasions when I have REALLY needed one. Maybe once a week.
    And I'd like to create a phone-friendly style for the forums and I'll need a phone to test it on.
    And I want a new gadget.
    I make maybe 40 minutes of calls from the landline every day to a mixture of landlines and mobiles. Our bill from Telewest is capped at £15 per month.
    If I do use the unit for emails, it will need to synch with Outlook.
    ooo yes this functionality would be cool. Making calls is important, of course.
    I'm thinking that maybe 200 minutes per month would be enough.
    I've briefly seen and been impressed with a 910i. But have read elsewhere that it's a phone first and PDA second.
    I don't really know what is going to be appropriate for me or which one to get.
    Basically I know naff all about phones/pdas and I want someone to tell me what to get.
    Can anyone please recommend a device and a tariff?
    Thanks

2. Parlivus

Parlivus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you want a compromise between a phone and PDA you should look at the MDA compact on T-Mobile, this is based on the I-Mate Jam PDA, its very small (so its not a pain to carry like XDAIIs which is reasonably large) and more of a phone/pda crossover than the XDAIIs/MDAIII/M2000 (all the same device branded differently on different networks).
    The P910i is a good handset as well - It runs symbian though not Windows mobile so there is a completely seperate number of applications that are symbian only and vice-versa.
    If you're ultimately looking for something that is totally usable as a phone and a PDA, then I would suggest the P910i over the others. Mainly because of the fact it actually features a numeric keypad rather than a "virtual" keypad that appears on screen. I find it is also easier to manage the dialling of contacts on the P910i, thats just my personal views though... Others may have different opinions.
    Both the devices sync with outlook out of the box (with installation of sync software obviously).

3. hardiz

hardiz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    p910i is the one to go for. It has decent battery life,(for a pda/smartphone) can view html e-mails through the in-built e-mail app. The opera internet browser comes installed as standard too. The most important thing is that it is very easy to use!!

4. Dog with 3 legs

Dog with 3 legs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The models to consider are the ones talked about above. I've been using the P900, now 910i for about 18 months. My only difficulties have been the lack of sat-nav software and poor spreadsheet implementation together with no wifi.

This has meant I've had to carry a PDA as well which gives sync problems.

I've just been trialing an XDA2i which is a little slimmer than the XDAIIs. Being a windows device, the OS is not as robust as Symbian however barring regular resets it looks like it will give me what I need. The downside is that the overall package is somewhat compromised.

The fact is that you need to decide your functional priorities and decide on that basis. For me I think the P910 is going and the XDAIIi is staying even though the P910i does a lot of things better than the XDA.

5. kryten

kryten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    There really is not 'perfect' phone/pda combo.

Any of the PDA first/phone second devices (XDA/P900) are generally too big to be used as an every day phone and have poor battery life but are good for Email/SatNav/Wireless web browsing (the P900 certainly isn't a phone first in size terms).

The more phone sized offerings are a phone with some PDA functions - the screen is too small to do anything useful quickly (still something of an issue with the larger devices) and the keypads make emails a real chore.

Both have their place - it depends on whether you want something you can shove in your trouser pocket on your way out (when you haven't charged it for 3 days) or if you're happy carrying a larger device that you have to remember to charge every other day.

Of course, the other option is to get BOTH :)

Or you could get a phone with bluetooth and pickup a cheap PDA (I still use my iPaq 3870) with bluetooth which will give you pretty much everything the integrated PDA has with the chuck in the pocket option as well.

6. Darren Blake

Darren Blake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I have an I-mate JAM. I didn't like the looks or apparent size of the P910i (even though it isn't that much bigger than the JAM). Plus I wanted it to talk the same language as my PC.

The P910i hard keyboard is a bonus, but unless you are texting you can navigate contacts and schdules and make and recieve calls on the JAM using the hard keys alone. The hard bit is finding out how to do it! For example, I've only just found out how to get back to the contacts list from the phone application if you pick the wrong contact (and I've had the phone for two months).

The soft buttons in the phone application are large enough that you can even text by tapping the crseen if you don't mind getting it greasy (long fingernails might be an advantage :) ). I find that this is easier if you turn T9 off, but 99% of the time I text using the stylus.

The little gizmo is totally running my life for me now! I couldn't be without it.

Hope this helps.