1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which PGscan DVD player?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Len, Aug 19, 2002.

1. Len

Len

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Assuming it's going to be connected to a Panny plasma.

Is it worth waiting for new DVD players which are Pal PS as well as NTSC? Are these due out soon.?

What about importing one from the US?

Or should I go for something like the Pioneer 747 now?

2. Kirk

Kirk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Well if you do a search on this forum for Prog. Scan you will see an update on the PAL prog situation as it stands at the moment.

Basically, the DVD forum is meeting in September and one of the topics on the agenda will be approving (maybe) the PAL CSS copy protection standard which Macrovision have come up with.

The general feeling is that this will happen and as the basic hardware is already in the marketplace if you look hard enough, the official "legal" release of PAL prog scan equipment should follow very quickly behind. (well, assuming this suits the release schedules of the equipment manufacturers! :rolleyes: )

IMHO I would guess that the manufacturers will be falling over themselves to get these players on the market! :D

3. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Philips 962SA from www.hivizone.com, search on this forum for it and you'll find lots of praise and it's deserved, remarkable picture quality for silly money really..

Cheers
    Andy

4. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Andy,are you on commission yet ;)

Its a cracking player, you can wait if you want, but if what your after is a great DVD player, then I highly recommend it. Puts my Pioneer 626 to shame.

Mine is through a projector onto a 96 inch screen. If it gives good results on this, then a TV is a walkover.

HiVizone delivered in about 10 days total cost was about 550 uk pounds.

Hope this helps.

5. Len

Len

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just ordered the 962a from Hivizone.

And the Panny Plasma from empiredirect.

Now where do I get decent interconnects?

6. dts_boy

dts_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    the toshiba 510 is a good place to start. wether its still availible though...

7. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Len,
    I used to have a Panny plasma and bought some fantastic component video leads which I no longer need as I'm using a projector and they're not long enough. They're 3m Insert Audio 5.1 phono to BNC leads which is exactly what you need for your plasma , cost me £300 , if you're interested send me a PM with an offer ok. It's worth spending a fair bit on cables remember to get the best out of your equipment!

Cheers,
    Andy.