1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Pearl Harbor to get, R1 or R2?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Jon Weaver, Nov 9, 2001.

1. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Born in Bristol but now in Newport, (for my sins)
    Ratings:
    +656
    I already have a pre-order of Pearl Harbor from Play.

But a colleague just pointed out that Tescos are doing VAT free at the moment and you can order it for around £13.

But then again, you have to add shipping, but the R2 still works out a couple of quid cheaper..

However, looking at Plays web site, the R1 is DTS but the R2 isn't.

Is this really the case? Are there any other major differences between the 2 versions?

2. Beek1

Beek1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There's currently a lot of confussion surrounding the DVD release of Pearl Harbor. As you might know, there is a three-disc Director's Cut which was originally scheduled for release early 2002, which has now been bumped back until mid-2002 in order to have the sufficient time to get features together. Now, I've got a copy of the R2 release which (as with all Buena Vista titles in the UK) doesn't have a DTS track. The only additional features in the two-disc pack are a 50min Making of featurette, the trailer, a brief Japanese perspective featurette and a Faith Hill music video. Now, while this doesn't tally exactly with what was originally planned for the title, and what is still being promoted for the US release, BV is insistant that with the exception of the DTS audio, the pack is identical to the standard US release. So, the possibility is that this is all of the supplementary material the company was able to gather in time to make the worldwide DVD release, and everything else will turn up on the Director's Cut edition next year. Until we actually see a US disc though (which won't be for another month) we just can't tell for sure.
    Sorry I can't be any more help, but if you're interested the anamorphic 2.35:1 on the R2 version is pretty impressive (although it does suffer from vertical edge enhancement - though not to the same extent as Phantom Menace) and the Dolby Digital 5.1 mix is one of the best we've ever come across.

3. Iain Shields

Iain Shields

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I wouldn't buy either copy of it, the film was a complete disgrace...:mad:

saying that, after seeing who was making the film.... I shouldn't have been surprised!!!

4. mysteriousjimmy

mysteriousjimmy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    which looks like it will now be a 4 disc Directors cut set....

5. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Damn right. If there was ever a clearer, more outright winner of the Turkey of the Year Award, or the Rotten Tomato Oscar award or whatever, then it would win those awards. However there isn't one, so Pearl Harbor deserves them all.

PANTS!