1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which PC speakers for surround sound in games...

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by cerebros, Aug 29, 2004.

1. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi all,

Am looking to update my sound card later this year, probably to Creative Labs Audigy 2 since it seems that no other manufacturer supports their latest EAX version yet.

For the odd occasion when I do remember toplay games, I'm looking to invest in a set of surround speakers (since I understand that EAX now supports proper discreet 5.1 surround), but I'm not sure what's going to do a reasonable job. I had a brief look at the speaker systems section on Creative's page, but I'm none the wiser as to what will suit my neads (not least becuase they seem to have a zillion and oen products listed).

Can anyone help?

thanks

2. H4r7y

H4r7y

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A 5.1 setup from logitech is a decent system.

3. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    I bought a 5.1 creative set up and it works well enough with games, and even for music. It all depends on the speaker wattage. My speakers are 70watts each with a 150watt amp.

I would say 50watts or over is best. take a look at creatives web site to get some ideas.

Im using the creative mega works 5.1 550.

4. gargoyle

gargoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    You don't have to pay big time for a decent system - nearly two years ago, I bought the award winning hercules xps 510 5.1 system which, with its wooden subwoofer and superb performance blew the competition away - priced at around £60-£70, it was in a league of its own.
    However, some weeks back, it got involved in an accident involving a large bottle of tango (don't ask!) so I was on the lookout for a new set of speakers - naturally enough, I wanted to purchase the same speakers but was disapointed to find that hercules no longer make the xps-510.
    However, they have replaced that model with the Xps 510 Classic which is much cheaper than the prior model (mine cost £41) and sounds just as good, the only downside is that it is not as powerful as its predecessor but is just as good, if not better.

5. stakyl

stakyl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would personally recommend getting a more traditional surround speaker setup, a home theater in a box.
    I have owned one for a few years now and when compared with pc speaker systems they sound just as good, if not better.
    Plus, from what I have heard adding and subtracting speakers is much easier with a home theater system.
    I also have the audigy 2 zs and from what the folks here are telling me I can connect it to my system with little trouble, although I have yet to do so.

BUT, this is just one man's slightly biased opinion :smashin:

6. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Aren't home theatre in a box packages normally well over £150? From what I've seen comparing prices on Kelkoo, there are plenty of PC 5.1 speaker packages for under £100...

As it's only for PC use, I'm not really looking to spend much more than £50 (and in fact preferably less than £50)