Which PC? HP touchsmart or Sony Vaio range

Kanyezee

Standard Member
Reaction score
I feel the time is right to invest in a new pc after the current model is beginning to look bleak.

I have seen the HP touchsmart, linked below, which looks pretty impressive.

http://h71036.www7.hp.com/hho/cache/447010-0-0-225-121.html

I have looked into this and this probably appears the best in terms of all round functionality.

http://vaio.sony.co.uk/view/ShowProductCategory.action?site=voe_en_GB_cons&category=VD+LA+Series

Advice from those in the know would be appreciated.

Also, both of these devices have TV Tuners inbuilt. Does that mean, a standard portable aerial will be required to generate good quality reception

Worth having a hands on play with both - The HP whilst I'm sure pretty functional is ugly as sin up close though.

The HP looks pretty good design wise. However, I have been reading around and apparently, it's peformance isn't upto much task for computing applications as its pretty slow and also lacks the ability to upgrade.

The Sony looks pretty cool. Although people are telling me it isn't worth the money, which is true.

The HP looks pretty good design wise. However, I have been reading around and apparently, it's peformance isn't upto much task for computing applications as its pretty slow and also lacks the ability to upgrade.

The Sony looks pretty cool. Although people are telling me it isn't worth the money, which is true.

And the Sony will have a Matshita drive, which cannot be made Region Free (and that includes s/ware fixes like DVD Region free etc)

And the Sony will have a Matshita drive, which cannot be made Region Free (and that includes s/ware fixes like DVD Region free etc)

Sorry mate, i assume this is not a good thing?

Re the DVD, you mean it can only play certain types?

Sorry mate, i assume this is not a good thing?

Re the DVD, you mean it can only play certain types?

No, it's not a good thing. It means you're restircted to DVDs bought in Region 2, i.e Europe. DVDs bought from anywhere else will not play.

There is a potential solution to this - buy an external drive and connect via USB. Or buy an intenral one to replace it - Pioneer DVR K05 looks favourite and I've ordered one to try it out.

The Region issue aside, it's an excellent machine

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom