1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which PC editing software

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by campbellduo, Nov 11, 2004.

1. campbellduo

campbellduo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have loads and loads of old videotapes. Now I have a dvd recorder I would like to put them onto DVDs and then edit them on the pc to get rid of the bits I don't want.
    Obviously if I copy the video onto disc I can play it on my pc - so which editing programme would be good for basic editing and then burning back out a high quality DVD?
    Thanks
    Vicky

2. Origin

Origin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Provided you're using Windows XP, start by trying the free Microsoft MovieMaker application that you'll find already installed! If that's not enough for you, Pinnacle Studio 9 Plus is the popular choice (approx £65).

Bear in mind that if you record your analogue tapes directly into the DVD recorder, it will be compressed into MPEG format which will make editing on the PC less accurate and of lower quality. If possible, capture the footage from your VCR directly into the PC as AVI format, edit it, then write the DVD.

3. campbellduo

campbellduo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What would the best options be when I save the video in moviemaker?
    Thanks

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    The only format you should be working with on a PC is AVI. Anything else will be a compressed format that will loose quality as you work with it.
    If you are taking the files off a DVD that was recorded on a standalone DVD player then I'm fairly sure you wont be able to use MS Movie Maker as I don't think you can edit MPEG-2 files with it.

After you have done any editing on the PC you will then need a DVD authoring program such as Ulead DVD MovieFactory 3 to convert/compress the AVIU files to MPEG-2, create chapters and a menu and then burn to a disk. If you are not bothered about menus etc then Nero 6 can convert and burn a DVD.

Mark.

5. Ian in Northamp

Ian in Northamp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Whoah there Nelly - there may be something that you might have overlooked. The files on a DVD are not, so far as I know, editable on a PC. Before you can edit them, you'll need to convert them 'back' to .avi format (for example). Search on Google for examples of appropriate software to do this. So the process is a) convert to .avi, b) edit, c) reconvert to DVD format, d) burn the DVD. I may be wrong here, but it's probably worth checking out before you get much further down the path... (I considered doing what you've done - buying an all-in-one DVD recorder - but the concern I've noted above meant I ended up going for a device that allowed me to attach my VCR to my PC and convert the VHS video directly to .avi. I realise it's a little late in the day for you to change tack now, though.)

6. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    Well not stricktly true!
    Some (and only some)editing software can edit MPEG files, but as I said you do loose a lot of quality doing this. The other problem is that you can't just load a DVD disk on the PC and see the MPEG files, as when a disk is authored the files are chopped and changed around a bit and put into different folders on the DVD. You need to get another program to rip the video files from the DVD first.

Mark.

7. Scoobiesnacks

Scoobiesnacks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Sorry question from a novice hear but re your point on compressed formats - why will you loose quality as you work with it? Aren't there programmes that get around this and maintain the original quality of the source assuming the source is compressed like mpeg?

8. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    Because when you compress the files a lot of the origional information is discarded leaving gaps in the information so the files can be smaller. When you start to edit you put larger gaps in the files resulting in a further loss of quality.

Mark.

9. Scoobiesnacks

Scoobiesnacks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I'm thinking of using this s/w I've come across through searching on the net. It says it only reencodes the files at the split points. Anyone else tried this? Are there any better options? e.g Will Sony Vegas do a better job?

http://www.videohelp.com/tools?tool=74#comments