Which PC cleaning software's should I use to keep my PC running smooth and safe?

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
None. A PC doesn't get dirty. The stuff sold as 'maintainence' or 'cleaning' software are more troubleshooting tools, allowing a brute force reset of things like cache.

EarthRod

Distinguished Member
I use two:

CCleaner and Wise Care 365. Both apps are the free versions.

These are very useful in clearing out the leftovers after many hours browsing, researching, and news reading on the internet. I run the apps about every two days of use.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
I use two:

CCleaner and Wise Care 365. Both apps are the free versions.

These are very useful in clearing out the leftovers after many hours browsing, researching, and news reading on the internet. I run the apps about every two days of use.

Don't.

If you don't want a large cache in your web browsers then you're better off setting the size of it to be smaller rather than force deleting it every couple of days. It'll work better as the browser can better prioritise stuff to keep.

EarthRod

Distinguished Member
Don't.

If you don't want a large cache in your web browsers then you're better off setting the size of it to be smaller rather than force deleting it every couple of days. It'll work better as the browser can better prioritise stuff to keep.
I have no use for how or what the browser prioritises.

My priority is removing about 350MB of stuff every two days. It builds up very quickly when browsing - the adverts alone leave a huge amount of unwanted residue.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
I have no use for how or what the browser prioritises.

My priority is removing about 350MB of stuff every two days. It builds up very quickly when browsing - the adverts alone leave a huge amount of unwanted residue.

The way cache works is that it stores a fixed amount, so reaches whatever your browser has it's cap set at and then stops growing - the files that are in it are deleted as space is required for new files, starting with those that see the least use.

It won't keep growing and consume 35GB after three months.

Greg Hook

Moderator & Reviewer
None. A PC doesn't get dirty. The stuff sold as 'maintenance' or 'cleaning' software are more troubleshooting tools, allowing a brute force reset of things like cache.

This.

Ignore all other suggestions about clean up software.

You simply don't need any.

Just remember, a general rule of thumb:
If the software is free, you are the product! Never think they are just being nice releasing some free software for you to clean up your computer..

Dallithga

I also was a fan of cleaning software for PC, because it just feels nice after you remove unnecessary stuff from your computer. But it doesn't help a lot and your PC is capable to manage everything by itself. Moreover, if you install some of these programs, they usually come along with some additional applications and you are likely to clutter you device even more😉

Emma Barr

Novice Member
We've picked out the five best tools for speeding up a cluttered PC by clearing away junk and optimizing its settings with a minimum of hassle.
The choice is yours.
  1. IObit Advanced SystemCare. ...
  2. Ashampoo WinOptimizer. ...
  3. Iolo System Mechanic. ...
  4. Piriform CCleaner. ...
  5. Glary Utilities.

outoftheknow

We've picked out the five best tools for speeding up a cluttered PC by clearing away junk and optimizing its settings with a minimum of hassle.
The choice is yours.
  1. IObit Advanced SystemCare. ...
  2. Ashampoo WinOptimizer. ...
  3. Iolo System Mechanic. ...
  4. Piriform CCleaner. ...
  5. Glary Utilities.
@Emma Barr - this site is very much about personal advice and advice from “we” isn’t generally encouraged. Please try to provide advice based on you experience.

On topic - none of those are necessary IMHO. See posts #2 and #8 for the answer to the question.

Windows OS in particular has moved on from 10 years ago when some tools did things better - many made things worse though and as pointed out all the free ones add other issues since you are the product.

Coulson

Distinguished Member
I would possibly suggest using Ccleaner if you have a specific issue. Sometimes the registry gets corrupted and you will see weird things happening with your system. Ccleaner is by reputation very careful in what it removes, especially if you use it in normal mode.

But your best option is to make a backup of a clean system. There are some excellent free backup software which you can use as long as you understand the basics of disc storage like what is a partition etc.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips TV Launch Event, Soundbar vs AVR, Samsung EzCAL and more...
Top Bottom