1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Parasound amp?

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by Triggaaar, Jun 25, 2004.

1. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,022
    At last I'm ready to buy. All I have so far is a Meridian 561 processor. If I don't go for active speakers (demoing tomorrow) I'll be after an amp to power 5 speakers, which will be either M&K 1610s & 1510s, Dynaudio Contours & Audience, or Leema Xens.

All require decent amplification, so I'm assuming choosing from the above speakers won't affect which amp I should choose.

With the speakers I'm interested in, and processor I've got, will there be much difference between the 1205A, 2205A & A52? There is a fair price difference, but I'm not sure which will suit my system best.

Also, any idea where I can demo these amps in Sussex?

Many thanks for any advice.

2. Philly112

Philly112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,490
    Not too sure which one, but my gut feeling is the A52. I have A51 powering M&Ks and your speakers will be at least as good! There is a very good online supplier of Parasound equipment; will pm you the details if you like - they're also very knowledgeable about the kit, so they may be able to advise you.
    Phil

3. Wannabe-THX

Wannabe-THX
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You want to get the one that matches the speakers that you want to run.

I have some PMC DB1's rated at 150w, so I would be looking at the 1205a.

Fish

4. Philly112

Philly112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,490
    Without neccessarily disagreeing with the 1205A, I doubt that matching speaker quoted power ratings with amp power is the way to do it! All of these amps will drive most any speaker to deafening point, and will be barely touching the maximum output. I'd go for the best sounding amp with most current capacity which in this case is probably the A52. Or maybe I'm talking rubbish as usual!

5. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,022
    A PM would be good, thanks.

The 2205A is more powerful than the A52 (A52 replacing the 1205A, and A51 replacing the 2205A) - but as for which sounds better, I've never heard either :) I've looked at the thread on the A52 vs 2205A (agree the A52 looks better) but no one had done a direct comparison.

And I'm not sure if they're both overkill, and the 1205A could be more than enough (seems to be favoured over the rotel, and certainly the £2K integrated amps often used to power the speakers I'm looking at) saving me a packet.

I guess I'm just wondering what fits in best with my intended system:
    Meridian 561
    3 M&K 1610s, 2 M&K 1510s (for arguements sake)
    Parasound ...

Thanks again

6. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +660
    The parasound 855 is similar to the rotel 1075 and the 1205 is similar to the 1095, the 2205 is a big jump!

Depens what you are willing to spend, there is a cinepro 3k6 for sale in the classifieds, this is in a different league to all the above, a truly sensational bit of kit, but then they are twice the price, but when you have over 3k watts driving your M&K's you will be sitting there with a silly grin on your face thinking it was money well spent :)

But the 2205 really is worth tracking down, even more so when you consider the prices you can get it for now, and as I said it is a massive upgrade from the 1205.

7. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,022
    Is that because you think that the extra power will mean it sounds a lot better even at moderate volumes? I had thought that the Rotel 1075 was considered ok for M&Ks (just?) - the 1095 plenty = the 1205A plenty. Do you think that those amps wouldn't cope with enough to spare, which creates the room for improvement with more powerful amps, or is there something else in the build quality of the higher amps responsible for the better sound (and silly grin)?

I think you bought the 2205 for £1k, and sold it for £900 - where can I get one for that price?

Thanks

8. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +660
    Yeah I bought it from Audio T, they had one for sale at £1500 and I called them and asked if they could do it for £1000, as they wanted to clear out ready for the Halo range they agreed.

The 2205 does not need to be played as loud as the 1095 to get the same dynamics and weight, I found I had to have the 1095, that I tried, quite loud to get it to sound really meaty, -3db and it was awesome but could start to sound a little shrill, the 2205 at -12db the 2205 filled the room completely, with superb dynamics, and for the first time in my home cinema system, my speakers completely vanished, which when it happens transforms your listening pleasure.

What do you want to spend on a power amp ?? I can ask somone if he can get his hands on a 2205, I know there were 1 or 2 left but that was a couple of months back and they are probably gone now.

9. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,022
    Wow. Congratulations on having the cheek to ask for such a discount :)

I'm not sure if the 2205 would perform better than the A52 or not, but I'm not keen on the 2205 looks. As for how much I want to spend - will spend what I need to get the right sound. If I can achieve the grin with a 1205, I can spend less than £800. If spending 1.5 - 2 was worth it for me, I would - but I'm not really going to know that until I have a complete set-up. I'm most interested by good value ex-dem equipement.

I'm slightly confused by the spec of the 1205 & A52. The 1205 has higher power rating for 8 Ohms, lower for 4 Ohms, than the A52. At 4 Ohms, 1205=200, A52=225, 2205=300. With the speakers I'm considering, is it just a case of ignoring the 8 Ohms figures?

Thanks

10. chips

chips

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    I haven’t heard the Halo range or the 2205 so can’t comment on them, but am delighted with the 1205 and have lost all interest in the upgrade trail, as my overall system now sounds just perfect to my ears.

To explain further, for the last six months I’ve been using the following: Lexicon MC-1, Parasound HCA-1025A, Parasound HCA-1000A, M&K 2510 front 3, M&K SS150 sides and rears, underpinned by a couple of Servo 15s in a room 18’ x 12’ x 9’.

Prior to the Parasounds, I had Rotel 1075 + 1070 driving S85s and SS150s and thought it sounded pretty good, but something was missing as I still felt the need to upgrade. I decided to upgrade the front three to MPS 2510s and whilst waiting for them to be delivered, thought that I’d better do something with the amplification. I did consider the Parasound 2205, but as I managed to get a 1205 at an excellent price, thought I’d give it a try with a view to possibly upgrading later.

I used the Parasounds with the S85s for a couple of weeks and the improvement over the Rotels was huge, my system sounded smoother, more detailed and with superb dynamics. When the MPS 2510s arrived, they were the icing on the cake, adding more weight, openness and even more detail to the front sound stage, but the biggest improvement had been the amplification.

So, would the Halo amps show an improvement over the original Parasound range? Possibly. Would the 2205 be better in my system than the 1205? Possibly. But, the overall sound is so good now that I just don’t feel the need to experiment any further, at least for the foreseeable future and I’ve been constantly upgrading for the last three years.

In a nutshell, why not try the 1205 with the 1510s/1610s, or perhaps try to find some S85s in our classifieds? You won’t lose a fortune if you still feel the need to upgrade later, but you may just get the grin, I did :D.

Edit: Although my system is mostly for movies, at the moment, I'm sitting listening to Planet Rock (Sky 861) at -45dB (family asleep) in music logic and it sounds wonderful :)

11. FazerThou

FazerThou

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    Triggaaar, This may bo of interest to you.

http://www.crtprojectors.co.uk/parasound.htm

Paul

12. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,022
    Well aware of it thanks 'mate'

Actually, I found a parasound 1205a for sale on the forum. A nice chap called Steve was going to remove it, but I convinced him to leave it up 'til I had a chance to demo the speakers. Then some complete ******* went and bought it from under my feet!

Only kidding. Hope you enjoy it.

13. FazerThou

FazerThou

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    I hate people like that:blush:, good luck with the tests the weekend

Paul

14. Burton

Burton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Interesting reading...

I am thinking about getting a power amp and processor and I am particularly interested in the parasound halo a52 which can be had at reasonable prices used or new compared to list.
    But which processor?
    I know I need to audition, but for now I am interested in opinion/ experience.
    fyi I will be driving 7 Kef Q1's, so should be easy to drive.

I really only have a budget of around £1k for the processor and I am considering the new Rotel 1068.
    Will this do the parasound amp justice?
    I really would prefer up to date processing with DPLIIx etc.
    Should I consider using a receiver (Denon, Rotel, Arcam etc.) for processing and powering the rear speakers from that
    Would it be better to look at Rotel 1075 for power side instead of the parasound?

thanks for your thoughts

15. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +660

No No NO No No !! ;)

Get a proper processor, and try and get hold of the Parasound amps, even go for the older 1205 or the 2205, these are alot better than the 1075, in fact I think the 2205 is one of the best Parasound products ever made.

Also I wouldn't get too hung up about about the latest formats, I played the 5th Element opera scene the other night to someone on my Meridian processor and Cinepro amp and the said it was one of the best sounding sytems he had heard, (he uses a 3803 and gallos btw) then I turned pro logic off and payed the DTS soundtrack ;)

A decent Pro logic will destroy an average PLIIX etc.
    I would say that an older Lexicon DC1 and Parasound amp with Logic 7 will beat all the top of the range intergrated amps with PLIIx etc.

16. FazerThou

FazerThou

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    Glad you said that because I have been considering 'sidegrading' to a tag or maybe a 1066 and have been trying to talk myself out of it. The main reason was to give DVD-A a try.

Paul

17. Burton

Burton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, I think I knew that would be the answer, but how would you rate the Rotel 1068 as a processor?
    And which amp for the rears (7.1)

My only other option would be to look at the used market given my budget.

18. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +660
    I really can't answer that as I haven't heard it. But at £1000 you could be looking at a used Lexicon MC-1, Tag AV32r 7.1, AV 30 7.1 (comes with bybass) or a Meridian 561, so lots of choice, there is even a Meridian 568 on hififorsale.com for £1300, if you could get that down a couple of hundred, well.... :)

Regarding amp for the rears, I used a rotel 971? (I think it was) for my rear duties and it seemed to be fine.

19. Wannabe-THX

Wannabe-THX
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Give the 1068 a tryout, I dont think you will be upset.

Fish

20. mutley

mutley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have a Meridian 561 with tha Parasound 1205, and i too cleared up my mind on upgrades for a long time. I love that combo! Was also considering the 2205 and A52. Haven't heard the others since the 1205 filled perfectly my needs...