Which Panny?

stanleyntl

Established Member
Reaction score
Is there much difference between the 32lxd52 and 32lxd500 LCD TVs?
The lxd500 is costlier - but is it any better?

stanleyntl said:
Is there much difference between the 32lxd52 and 32lxd500 LCD TVs?
The lxd500 is costlier - but is it any better?

LXD500 has SD card drive for recording,playback and picture viewing. It also has a superior sound system and a better quality remote control.

The LXD500 also has a PC socket and a CAM slot (Top up-tv) which the LXD52 doesn't have. Plus the blacks are better on the LXD500, but not by much apparently.

I think that is about it?

For me i want a CAM slot, PC input and a SD card slot, so for me it is a bit of a no brainer even though it costs more

If you want the panny for PC input, forget it. The quality is dire. Ive just returned my second LXD500. Font corruption, poor colour rendering etc etc. Replaced it with a Loewe Xelos and the PC input is great, the SD feeds are also superior. Costs more but its in a different league again to the Panny.

well i am writing this of my laptop connected to my lxd500 and it is great the colour rendering is superb!!. The sd/pc card input is great too as it allows me to load some nice landscape pictures to view whilst i'm not watching tv.

go for it.

So it is a great Quality when using a PC. What is the quality like when watching freeview?

lee_c00per said:
So it is a great Quality when using a PC. What is the quality like when watching freeview?

Neither good nor bad.

Watchable but does not have digital-like images.

I am just trying to help someone here not to make an expensive mistake.
So just to clarify this.

Are you using xga or vxga
Are you running at 1360(66) 768
When browsing the internet are all your fonts uniform in colour and sharpness across the screen.i.e for example go to www.theinquirer.net and on the far left are the editors contact details pin sharp and all the links in yellow.
Did you have to set the clock phase and clock adjust settings, also did you try adjusting the gamma gain settings.
I tried two of these screens at home, with a Laptop on a Mobility Radeon X700.
A desktop with Geforce 7800 GTX
A desktop with a Radeon X800 Pro.
Also tried a DVI to VGA lead without the need for a converter. DVI to HDMI which was bloody awfull, and two converters. All had the same colour mistakes and poor screen uniformity.

If you want the best PC input you need a screen with a DVI Input, I have a Aquos 26GA3E which is perfect, but for a VGA input the Loewe Xelos is superb.

When spending anything over a grand its got to be good, so just documenting my experiences with two sets and the shops display model also. The sales rep in the store was also surprised with the poor PC results.
I actually had to take all three computers with me to the store to prove my point. A costly and frustrating excersise, so just trying to help you out.

I've had my PC connected to my TX32LX500 for watching HD movies:

NVidia 6600GT DVI out to HDMI input on TV. Result was superb and there were no problems with color fidelity or uniformity whatsoever!

Watching movies is fine.
Using your desktop or web browser is not superb.
I am not panel bashing here. the panny is a good TV set, but its no good for a HTPC unless you dont use windows at all.

Uniformity and colour reproduction cannot be tested when watching a movie over HDMI, download the Nokia test suite and then tell me how good the uniformity and colour reproduction is.

This is my last post in the thread, as is typical of some people who have the "Ive bought it and spent a bundle on it so it must be good, and I will defend it to the last"...a bit like early 80's Skoda owners.

Hi,
I'm also in doubt between those two models. I've read somewhere else in this forum that the panel is the same (somebody got this info from Panasonic) and I don't really need the card reader, so for me the only issue is the PC connection.

What is the problem in connecting the PC with a DVI-HDMI cable?

Thanks!

gpq71 said:
Hi,
I'm also in doubt between those two models. I've read somewhere else in this forum that the panel is the same (somebody got this info from Panasonic) and I don't really need the card reader, so for me the only issue is the PC connection.

What is the problem in connecting the PC with a DVI-HDMI cable?

Thanks!

Hi gpq71

These are issues i've also been having. May i suggest you view the following thread:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=254189

particularily post's #45 onwards (or even from the very beginning if you have time!). I don't think Panasonic have made themselves clear at all regarding the TX32LXD500 and LXD52

Thank you po_man.
That thread tells me that for PQ I'll go for the 52. I don't know yet if it is possible to connect the PC via DVI-HDMI on the 52 and if I'm going to lose much quality.
Any 52's owner who could answer that...?

I saw the D500 today in a shop and i was impressed but not blown away like i was hoping.

The Quality for freeview was great. Much better than CRT. The man in the shop described the 52 as a cheap option for people who want high definition and can't afford the D500, hense why the are less connections and features. He also said that it was one of their most popular LCD's at the moment and that there is a 5 week waiting list for it.

As i wasn't blown away but what i had my heart on, my might look at alternatives.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom