1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Panny plasma?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by meridian808, Jun 8, 2004.

1. meridian808

meridian808
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    First post here :)

I have read a few threads on the 42 pe30 & I am on the verge of buying one.
    should I look at another Panasonic or is this one the pick of the bunch?

will be used for cable & DVD'S (when I get one
    :blush: )

thx

2. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    if you are just using it as a tv, this is a great set. If you are looking to get the very most out of a plasma and intend to spend money in the future on video processing etc, then the pwd6 would be a better choice as it has much more input flexibility.

ad

3. meridian808

meridian808
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    at the mo it will just be connected to my 2 channel Pre-amp,

Video processing? eh

THx

W

4. meridian808

meridian808
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    now I'm really confused. I've been reading more about SD v HD :rolleyes:

I have a Meridian HI FI & was looking at the meridian Processor for the future
    however if I just use a decent DVD player will I benefit from the HD Panel.

THX

W

5. Smurfin

Smurfin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,834
    Aside from the obvious Hi-Def capabilities, people who have compared the two have said that the HD offers a better picture than the SD panel, for reasons which I daren't try to explain as I'd get it wrong (loads of info on it if you search:)). However, when I viewed the SD and the HD side by side @ AV Sales on a blind comparison...I got it wrong :eek:

That said, neither panels were calibrated with Avia or DVE, so you might argue any conclusions are meaningless without this.

6. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,527
    Hello all

Smurfin - you may find if you went back now and looked again you may come to a different conclusion; like most things it takes a time to 'learn' about what your looking at and its easy to be wowed by pretty much any big flat panel TV.

Snapper - the Panasonic SD PlasmaTV will serve you well if you want it simply as a TV with Standard Definition Analogue and Digital Broadcasts; however start to contemplate a Meridian or similar up-market DVD or AV processor and you will quickly run into the design limitations of the PE30 and similar TV's.

You'll be much better served in the long run if you can live with the less glamorous looks of a Panasonic or Pioneer Plasma Display and though they cost a bit more money you should be looking to the HD units.

Best regards

Joe

7. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Whilst I do agree the PW6 has a lot of flexibility it only has slots for 3 input boards and the standard VGA in.

The standard inputs on the PE30 should be enough for most.

2 RGB scart
    1 (S-Video / Composite) scart
    2 S-Video In
    VGA in (albeit from the front, which I agree is a pretty daft decision from Panasonic)

With the PW6 you will need to spend money on input boards, converters and then you will probably end up wanting a rather expensive scaler.

The PE30 has many advantages

far more user friendly
    integrated digital tuner (you never know!)
    speakers
    far better looking, especially with the floor stand

and

John Lewis will price match with a 5 year warantee

as for a HD model, how many years do you think it will be before sky broadcast in HD? They have not long started broadcasting films in DD5.1 and hardly any channels are broadcast in 16:9.

Also how could they possible broadcast it, the BR is incredibly poor on some channels already due to restraints with the astra satellite.

Personally I would view a Plasma as a upgrade for a CRT, for a home cinema mainly used for dvds, a projector would be a far more sensible choice.

8. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    but the pe30 does have a rather sever limitation in not accepting 720p.... things like this really do limit its upgradeability. If all the set is wanted for is a single purchase which will go on the wall and be forgotten until the day it dies, then the pe30 would be my choice.

ad

9. meridian808

meridian808
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for the input everyone. I've reserved a PE30 at JLewis (price match)
    & will pop down to see a comparison. I have a decent hifi but at the mo dont own a single DVD :laugh: so as long as the picture is good enough I think I'll
    settle with the normal one ( famous last words et al)

thx

W

10. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    By the sounds of that post, you are absolutely correct with your choice :)

ad

11. Si133

Si133

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can I ask what price you got it matched at, and at what J Lewis store? I'm going to be doing the same soon.

12. maphi3

maphi3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Snapper/ Si133

Could I ask the same question? Which JL, against which retailer and how much?

Many thanks

13. ScottW75

ScottW75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +687
    1 and a half apparently, here's the press release...

“BSkyB will again demonstrate its commitment to lead innovation in digital television with the development of a premium package of channels in the High Definition Television (HDTV) format. The proposed introduction of HDTV to the digital satellite platform in 2006 will ensure that Sky customers continue to benefit from the most advanced television services available.”

“HDTV, delivering substantially superior picture quality than standard-definition television, is the preferred format for a growing number of US television productions in genres including sport, drama, entertainment and news. Its introduction to the UK is expected to strengthen further the differentiation between digital satellite and other television platforms and to appeal to the increasing number of consumers who seek to enhance their in-home audiovisual experience with equipment such as wide-screen televisions, plasma screens and home cinema systems.”

“The premium service will launch in 2006 with both a set of dedicated HD channels and access to selected events produced in HD format. Further details of BSkyB's proposed technology and programming offering in HDTV will be announced in due course. In addition to the package of channels to be offered by Sky, other broadcasters on the digital satellite platform will also be able to take advantage of its HDTV capabilities to provide an enhanced experience to their viewers.”

14. Ianc

Ianc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    no doubt these new premium channels will come with a lovely "Sky" logo in top right corner that stays there all the time so you can show off to your mates and more importantly the sky marketing boys can prove its HighDef ... lovely for all those plasmas with soon-to-be burnt-in "SkyHighDef" logo :)

So far people have bought PE30's from

John Lewis West Quay, Southampton
    John Lewis Birmingham.
    (amongst others - these have been mentioned on the forum)
    Both with price match against richer sounds & 5yr warranty. There is plenty of info on this in the thread "New PE30 is out" along wiht discusssions on which prices were agreed .

15. Si133

Si133

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The problem with John Lewis, is that they seem to change the rules every week.

Today I tried Southampton, Solihull, Brent Cross and Welwyn and they all said they Richer Sounds were offering the 42PE30 at £2999 (its 2779 on the website). After delivery, they would only price match to £3065.

If anyone knows of a store that betters this tell!

16. samhain

samhain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122

If that's there stance on it then that provides an interesting insight to the future. I suspect it will come at a hefty price premium if it does, not to mention that they might do the Sky+ thing whereby you have to buy their decoder to receive it.

17. samhain

samhain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    Presumably any panel that is 858x480 will always have limitations in the Hi Def arena.

Do you mean that 720p will not show up at all on the PE30 or is this a statement that is true of all SD plasmas. The PW6 for example will down scale anything above it's native resolution, so what will 720p look like on that ?

18. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Apparently (I can only say what im told) the pe30 wont even show an image with 720p. The PW6 on the other hand will show and in fact looks visibly superior than a native pixel map (from the same scaling source of course).

ad

19. Oblivion

Oblivion
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Well last night I connected up my laptop to my PW6 and using powerstrip to set the resolution to 720p watched a HDTV episode of the simpsons (4:3 mind) and the quality of the image made Sky look like a bad VHS recording :eek:

Bearing in mind this was a downloaded avi approx 140Mb for episode, I was gobsmaked. It my not be a HD panel, but to my eyes it looked awsome.

Cheers

Paul

20. samhain

samhain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122

Sounds great. Was this at 60Hz ?