Which Panny board for Scaler (DVI or HDMI)?

rowlandhills

I'm planning to buy a plasma soon, which may well be a Panny PHD8. If I do, I'll probably be connecting by component initially, but then a couple of months down the line I plan to add a scaler.

Do I want the DVI or the HDMI board for use with a scaler?

Are there any issues about compatibility with Sky HD etc. with either of the boards?

Cheers,

Rowland.

Thatsnotmynaim

Use the free VGA for scaler. If you plan you use HDCP stuff through your scaler then then DVI will your best option as I think the HDMI will only accepts 565i/p, 720p and 1080i not 1024x768.

rowlandhills

Ah. I thought it was the other way round, since I think the DVI board is the same one used in the 7 series, but the HDMI board is new and better...did I get that wrong?

Thatsnotmynaim

The DVI board is the same one I used ot use in my PWD6, the new HDMI I have in my PHD8 is a G8 card yes, but I think HDMI is aimed at the consumer hence TV resolutions like 576, 720, 1080 etc, where as I think the DVI is aimed more at PC use hence I think it may support more PC resolutions. I do not have a DVI card any more to try as I sold it ages ago with my PWD6, but I intend to try one at some point as the HDMI doesn't do [email protected] I know the DVI never used to do this in the PWD6 or 7, but I also know that the problem was more down to the way the panel handled the digital signal inside the panel. The DVI may still have these short comings with a G8 panel and may not support 1024x768, but it may not. I know the HDMI card will not accept 1024x768 from my iScan HD+, hence I'm using the VGA input and it works a treat. Maybe I'm doing something wrong with the HDMI + iScan, but I got the VGA input 1:1 matched with the iScan in about 15 minutes of plugging it in.

Trending threads

Top Bottom