Which Panasonic?

Discussion in 'Panasonic TVs Forum' started by Marky1973, Mar 9, 2006.

1. Marky1973

Marky1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +311
    I have finally managed to whittle my short list down to three panasonics

32lxd500
    32lxd52
    32lxd60

My main uses will be SKY and DVDs with the future proofing option of having HD in a few years time. Maybe a little gaming too. I am somewhat anal in nature and really want something that is going to give me an excellent (for LCD picture) - I had considered the Sharp p50e, but thought I would spend a bit extra to get a fully future proof HD ready job.

The 500 seems to have the best reviews - basing the 60 on what I have read on here. But the 60 has the extra HDMI input/ However the 60 and 52 are a little cheaper than the 500 and perhaps easier to get hold of. The money isn't an issue (hark at him :rolleyes: ) so I was wondering which set would be the best to go for (all joking aside, the 500 is probably the top of my budget, so going for an alternative for 3K isn't an option:D ). I realise this is a subjective thing, but any anecdotal evidence about these sets and their ease of use and niggles with everyday use etc would be gratefully recieved...

Many thanks in advance

Mark

2. Argee1977

Argee1977

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Haven't they stopped selling the 52 and 500s with them launching the 60 and 600???

3. Lin3ar

Lin3ar
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,775
    In reviews, the 52 matches the 500 for performance ie top quality but has less connectivety so that needs to be taken into consideration.
    By all accounts the 60 doesn't look quite as nice as the outgoing models but on paper should at least match or even beat them for performance.The 60 has a lower response time and better contrast ratio plus an extra HDMI socket(which will prove its worth when HD Sky and HD DVD/Blue Ray are released)
    Personnally, I would have a look at the 60 in action.Try and find a shop where you can demo it properly (not Comet and Dixons)
    In my opinion, you can't go wrong with the Pannys, they are top LCD screens :thumbsup:

4. Marky1973

Marky1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +311
    will get down to the local panasonic shop....as they have all three in store at the moment.....just won't buy from them seeing as the 500 is still 1800:eek:

Certainly like the 500, but the 60 extra HDMI is a tempting prospect......just not having seen any reviews, not so sure..... I suspect a lot of the negatives I have read so far are due to settings and not having enough time to set it up properly, but I am happy to be corrected.....

Just wish I had seen the 500s when they were 1200 in dixons......:(

5. Lin3ar

Lin3ar
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,775
    My Dad went into the Panasonic shop in Chester where the 52 was £1300 and when he told them that I had got mine for £999 they instantly matched that price.Give it a try, you never know :smashin:

6. allycat

allycat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got the 500 two days before Xmas and am extremely happy with it. I cannot comment on the 52 and 60 as I have not seen them in action. I got a great price match through John Lewis and got the set for £1350 compared to £1795 list price. See my post at

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=262433&page=13

for details. Don't pay list price whatever you do !!!!! All the advice in the price match forum thread is really useful and if you stick at it you can get a great deal and a five year guarantee from John Lewis.

There was also a much more recent post saying that the 500 is now down to £1185 at John Lewis High Wycombe - see :

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=262433&page=42

I have Sky + which comes through fantastically well. I bought a £30 high quality scart lead to connect it just in case, but can't say if an ordinary scart would be much lower quality as I haven't tried; the majority of opinion is that the better quality the interconnect the better ! Football on Sky or BBC comes through well with no discernible motion issues.

The inbuilt freeview tuner works OK, although I haven't upgraded my aerial yet, so we don't get all the channels and some are a little blocky depending on the weather. I am sure that upgrading the aerial will sort that out though as we are fairly near a transmitter. Since we have Sky it is not an issue at the moment

I bought a new Samsung HD950 upscaling DVD player with HMDI connection to utilise (sort of) the HD capabilities of the screen and the picture is fantastic especially with good quality DVDs e.g. natural history ones like "Deep Blue". I have not had any of the niggles that some people have complained about with the HD950 player. I am not a home cinema buff though, and we really just use the whole setup for normal family use.

I hope this helps.:thumbsup:

7. Hungry_Joe

Hungry_Joe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've also been considering these screens. Factor in that the 500 is £999 in John lewis and does that make it the one to go for?

8. Marky1973

Marky1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +311
    When I have looked on the JL website they don't list the 500 (unles I am being daft).....so is it just the odd store that is selling them to clear?

If I found the 500 for 900 I would have it in an instant

9. Hungry_Joe

Hungry_Joe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm being a [email protected] Sorry - i was looking at the 26s and not 32s.

I'm going to the deepest dephs of helll for that mistake, i just know it.

10. Marky1973

Marky1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +311
    lol.......Been caught like that myself on a few occasions looking on sites and in brochures, thinking I have found the 32 version and it turns out to be the 26....seems to be hundreds of those bugger left lying around!:D maybe i will have to get one and just sit closer to the tv:D