1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Panasonic ?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by johnnybbad, Jul 17, 2005.

1. johnnybbad

johnnybbad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi guys and girls, new to the forum and just after a bit of advice. im looking to purchase my first plasma tv and the panasonics seem to get a good write up for my budget (£1500 ). i was going to get a pw7 but now i have spotted the new TH-42PA50, which i believe has got an 8th gen panel. all i need to hook up is my dvd and sky ( no terrestrial tv ). Picture quality is my main concern, which one do you think i should go for....

2. Korum

Korum

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +704
    It all depends what you're looking for.I'd say on DVD/Sky use the PQ will be pretty much identical on the PW7 and PE50.

If you want a Plasma with speakers/tuner/stand etc go for the PE50.If you already have a 5.1 setup you might just consider a panel but you'll then have to buy a wall mount/pedestal.The PW7 may be cheaper than the PE50 but you only get a PC connection on it so you'll at least have to buy a VGA to Scart adaptor to connect your Sky/DVD etc.The PE50 has 3 scarts and a component connection which could cost between £150-£200 to add to the PW7.

If you want to fiddle around with the settings alot the PW7 has far better options,the PE50's settings/service menus seem very basic.And finally the PW7 is slimmer/sleeker and comes in a choice of 2 colours.

I want through the same dilemma as you recently.The PW6 was being offered for £1100 in richer sounds but I really wanted a PV500.Do I opt for a cheaper SD Panel now and go for HD Panel in a couple of years or get the PV500.By the time you added a scart board/component board and wall mount to the PW6 is was getting on for £1500 and that was before Richer sounds put another £200 onto the price.I opted for the PV500 and it's brilliant-The best 2.2k i've ever spent,PQ through Sky looks amazing and although I have a 5.1 system, I use the Plasmas sound for general TV usage, The one downside to it is the service menus are terrible.

3. johnnybbad

johnnybbad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the input korum, i already have a 5.1 sytem on my sony dvd set-up so speakers arnt a problem. and ive also found the pw7 with scart board and stand for under £1300 delivered. The overall monitor style of the pw7 seems more appealing to myself than the pe50 so i guess ill be ordering it tomm. :)

also in choice of input boards what does everyone think is the best scart or component ? or is there no real benefit between them.

4. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +474
  5. johnnybbad

johnnybbad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    should be able to. i have 2 component inputs on the dvd player so if i get a scart to component lead i should be able to put my sky through the dvd...

6. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +474
    can you not go scart to scart and component out or is it only component input?

7. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Sounds like you're getting in a bit of a muddle!!

Ideally you would have component board for component DVD, and JS RGB to VGA converter for Sky to connect to the VGA input. So this means one board, but also a £120 converter (very much worth it though).

If your DVD has scart output, you could run DVD scart-scart into the Sky box (VCR scart), then the Sky box scart-scart to either a scart terminal board or through a JS converter to the VGA input. I still prefer the first option though, also gives the potential to upgrade to a better progressive scan DVD player later.

8. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +474
    Johnny - I have a PWD7 which is connected as per Liams post.......i.e. my Denon 2910 DVD to component and Sky+ to vga using the JS converter and then I have a PW7 where Sky+ goes into the Panasonic E55 DVDR via scart and the E55 is connected via component to the screen. Whilst it is certainly true to say that Sky with the JS converter is better the other option via DVDR is also perfectly acceptable.

9. johnnybbad

johnnybbad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    wow now i am confused lol. just ordered it today and it comes on wednesday, he didnt have any component boards in stock so i suppose its scart only for the time being. thanks for the input and ill keep you posted...