• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Which Panasonic tv

9tjc

Novice Member
Hi everybody
After buying a tx65cx802b last week I'm now looking for a 55 for another room.
Between these 2 models below how close can I get pic quality wise to the 802
Im looking for a 55" Panasonic but I'm not sure which one to go for between the 55cx680 or the 700 (curry a only)
I also read that the models ending in 00 were produced out with Panasonic. Again if anybody could advise on whether this is a true or not and if so then are there any negatives regarding these sets?.
Could anybody point me in the right direction please?.

Old Bones

Established Member
Someone called?

The 802 is a very nice set, and obviously the 680 and the 700 are not going to be quite as good. However, the 680 is very decent in a 55, and the Pannie rep told me today is backlit, and at £849 in a 55in, is very good value.

The 700 is around at various places in a 55 - its curved, so its a bit of a marmite, but according to the rep, its the TX-55CR852 with some bits taken out. At £995, thats a very good deal. Its a bit odd, since its not that impressive at one distance, but great at another (!).

However, thanks to price cutting (until the 17th), the TX-55CR852 is itself cracking value at the moment, at £1299, and with £100 tradein's available at one or two places until the 18th (have a check at the normal places), that brings it down to £1199 for a lovely bit of kit. It was one I was pointing out to today for people who were looking for a little above entry prices, but the best value, becuase its higher in the food chain than you'd expect at that price.

If you want one, be quick - the £200 price cut and tradein together finish on the 17th. Go and look, and see what you fancy.

9tjc

Novice Member
Someone called?

The 802 is a very nice set, and obviously the 680 and the 700 are not going to be quite as good. However, the 680 is very decent in a 55, and the Pannie rep told me today is backlit, and at £849 in a 55in, is very good value.

The 700 is around at various places in a 55 - its curved, so its a bit of a marmite, but according to the rep, its the TX-55CR852 with some bits taken out. At £995, thats a very good deal. Its a bit odd, since its not that impressive at one distance, but great at another (!).

However, thanks to price cutting (until the 17th), the TX-55CR852 is itself cracking value at the moment, at £1299, and with £100 tradein's available at one or two places until the 18th (have a check at the normal places), that brings it down to £1199 for a lovely bit of kit. It was one I was pointing out to today for people who were looking for a little above entry prices, but the best value, becuase its higher in the food chain than you'd expect at that price.

If you want one, be quick - the £200 price cut and tradein together finish on the 17th. Go and look, and see what you fancy.

Hi. I was of the understanding that the 852 was the curved version of 802???. Just shows you how I thought I knew but clearly did not. Thanks very much for your help.

Old Bones

Established Member
I'm not actually sure of the exact relationship. Looking at the spec, the 1600hz refresh is the same, both have local dimming pro, and both are active 3D, and the same number/type of HDMI's. The 802 is THX certified, whereas the 852 is not, but it was explained to me that was because the 852 is curved. Other than that, they do look very similar on the specs, as far as I can see.

If you liked the 802, it would be interesting to see what you think of the 852 -if only to compare. And since the CR730B seems to be a cousin of the 852, but with a 1000hz refresh, Bright panel plus)(rather than Super Bright Panel), Brilliant Contrast rather than the 8 series Supreme (who makes this stuff up?), no Colour Space, Local Dimming (but not pro), and no Freesat, its worth looking at, if only because its £995. Panasonic has it listed as exclusive to Currys, which I can confirm isn't the case!

Go have a look in store, and see what grabs you - you've got the lovely 802 at home, so you've got a great benchmark. I'd be interested as to your impression of the other two/three sets.

ristac

Established Member
Trust me, don't go buying your TV from Currys, use someone like John Lewis, you won't regret it should you ever need to claim on the 5 year warranty. Yes I know Currys offer the same but is it as easy as one phone call, English call centre through in under 60 seconds and sorted on the phone there and then.

I loved my 680 but it has developed a fault 4 months on, engineer from Peterborough AV coming out this week, JL even offered me a loan TV while it is away being repaired.

9tjc

Novice Member
Cheers ristac.
I've bought my last 2 from tps and really rate them. Would probably never gave the bottle to buy from currys to be honest. I rate tps John Lewis and richer sounds and would buy from any of these 3 only. The only downside to tps is that it's 3 hours away so 6 hour round trip but like your saying it's very important where these sets are purchased from as you need to know the customer support/service will be there if the worst happens and a uk call centre with English speaking staff is a must.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom