Which Panasonic for 2k?

stuhyde

Established Member
Reaction score
have been looking at getting a new plasma, must be 50" and must be trueHD (1080p).
I have been looking at the TH50PZ700 (£1800) and the TH50PF9 (much more)

Now I prefer the look of the PF9 as its essentially the same screen, but has cards for the inputs (same as the panasonic I have now), but its MUCH more expensive??? Yet it doesnt contain the Freeview tuner, speakers or inputs??

Is there any reason behind that, also are there any other screens I should be looking at around this size/budget?

Thanks in advance!

:zonked:

have been looking at getting a new plasma, must be 50" and must be trueHD (1080p).

Now I prefer the look of the PF9 as its essentially the same screen, but has cards for the inputs (same as the panasonic I have now), but its MUCH more expensive??? Yet it doesnt contain the Freeview tuner, speakers or inputs??

Is there any reason behind that, also are there any other screens I should be looking at around this size/budget?

Thanks in advance!

you should also check out the newer TH50PZ70.

Thanks in advance!

Because it is a far better set, the PF's have faer superior processing behind them, and when you are scalling to 1080p you need decent processing, decent processing costs, the cheaper sets just cant do it.

oh ok, makes sense then..

does the pf9 support 1080p/24?

Thanks for the replies

:clap:

again the th50pz70 is cheaper again

There seems to be a lot of models around this same spec with varying prices....

:confused:

oh ok, makes sense then..

does the pf9 support 1080p/24?

Thanks for the replies

:clap:

No but neither does the PZ70, but it is not as much of an issue for most people, if you see the judder stay clear, if not then fine, but again most people dont understand, see or even care about this judder.

i have noticed this judder before when panning on my 42pwd7 using a neuneo hd player, and because i will be using a ps3 as my BR player, I'd like it as little as possible.

Went and had a look at a few screens at a local shopping mall last night, what a waste of time that was. All the seem interested in showing you is the 720p fast moving stock. Yet it was at same prices as 1080p online prices.

Muppets (although U understand they have overheads to cover)

So which screen is gonna be best for me?

Dont need speakers/tuner, but for the cost and less hassle i might just get the pz700, need to read up on the pz70.

i have noticed this judder before when panning on my 42pwd7 using a neuneo hd player, and because i will be using a ps3 as my BR player, I'd like it as little as possible.

Went and had a look at a few screens at a local shopping mall last night, what a waste of time that was. All the seem interested in showing you is the 720p fast moving stock. Yet it was at same prices as 1080p online prices.

Muppets (although U understand they have overheads to cover)

So which screen is gonna be best for me?

Dont need speakers/tuner, but for the cost and less hassle i might just get the pz700, need to read up on the pz70.

If you are going from a wd7 you really need to take a look, the scaling you have on your set is far superior to the new viera ones.

Im confused??

My PWD7 is 18 months old and has a max res of 480p?

Im confused??

My PWD7 is 18 months old and has a max res of 480p?

I understand that, it might be 18 months to you but the generation of the set is a bit older.

Gona get slammed for this but the newer sets do not have as good electronics behind them, it is widely reported that sets like the ph8 have better black performance.

Panny are manufacturing to price with the vieras not to a standard, yes the screen has a higher resolution, yes it may be brighter (but in the home that is not an issue if you set it up properly.

With higher a resolution screen the scalling needs to be better, not worse.

You need to go and have a look at these at a decent retailer, and look at the sd performance, not only that, but 1080i as well.

People are getting excited that this is a new set, it is to market but it is a PZ700 with fewer features. Do you honestly think it is a new set with better electronics for 60% less, I dont think so.

You are not going to see better sets from panny till qt 1/2 next year.

If you really want a panny (and I do understand why) with new technology I would suggest waiting till then.

But go and look if you like, then buy, look for pixelisation in the background of a shot, with hd and sd, if that is not an issue to you than you will be happy.

We've seen a couple of years of cost cutting and the rush to get full HD into panasonic plasmas with the subsequent loss in quality. I think next year this will be addressed partly in response to Pioneer's Kuro but also the increasing threat from LCD with 40" screens already overtaking plasma in sales and 50" + to follow.

So if you can, wait till next year.

And then wait another year for improvement in another feature. And then a further year because x & y is comming out. In fact, don't ever buy a TV as something better will come along the following year.

LOL My thoughts exactly, was speaking to my neighbour about this last night.

Well, so far, I think my favourite is the TH50PZ70

:D

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom