Which Panasonic dvd HD recorder and pioneer

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Meridius, Jun 27, 2004.

1. Meridius

Meridius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    HI all i have been looking for a HD recorder and was woundering
    what is the diffrence between the Panasonic 85 and 100 versions.
    as thay are about £100 diffrence and have the same HD.

is there more options in the 100 machine is so what????

I was looking at the new pionner 520 models and have noticed thay do not have NTSC and PAL Progressive Scan playback like the panasoic do.

do you think the Pioneer DVR-520 DVD & 80GB HDD Recorder will be better than the panasonic Hd recorders what are the diffrences apart from ram and dvd-rw and the progressive.

is it inportent to have progressive will i use it how do i use it.

also i have read that the panasonic has component and the pionner do not is this true ????

what would you get now if you had the chance to get one????

thanks to all who help

2. pany

pany

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    from what i understand the E100 has i-link and a SD slot so you can connect you DV cam corder, or view your photos. However the E85 doesnt have these, but i believe it has prog scan output, which iirc is absent on the E100. It would be worth checking as I know it handles PAL prog scan unsure about NTSC.

Progressive scan updates the entire picture frmae at one, interlaced (normal) outputs update the picture frame in 2 seperate processes. Most people agree that progressive scan pictures are superior.

Your television will also need to be able to acept a progressive scan signal for you to get the benefit. Also it will need component inputs/

3. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,265
    The Panasonic E100 is a generation older than the E85 and is about to be replaced by the E95. As has already been pointed out the differences between the units is primarily the PC Card slot, SD Card slot and iLink input. Both the E85 and E95 have progressive scan component output which is very worthwhile if you have a compatible TV (or are planning to get one in the lifespan of the DVD recorder).

Basically if you don't have a Digital Camcorder or Digital Camera then the E85 is a good choice unless you want the larger HDD of the E95 (160GB).

4. steve36

steve36

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Rasczak
    I've been holding out for the E95 and it's larger HD, and have realised that I'd be better off saving nearly £250 and getting the E85, then update it next year with a digital tuner.
    I like most people would like some future-proofing with digital-tuner built in, so I am a little annoyed with Panasonic holding back.

Do you think Sony will bring out there Digital-tuner version this year ?
    I know Philips are going to very soon, but I think I'll stick with tried and tested Panasonic.

Steve.

5. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,265
    That is the plan - although it will ultimately depend upon the Freeview 7 day EPG. Several other companies will join the party as well - Sharp, Philips, Daewoo and a few others. All will still feature a Digital to Analogue to Digital conversion though which is annoying.

The Panasonic strategy on Freeview tuners hasn't been made clear yet but we are likely to see a HDD/DVDR combo with DUAL tuners next year. Whether it records the original bitstream remains to be seen. Regardless it is still 14 months away - far too long IMHO! :thumbsdow