Question Which Panasonic 4k uhd player?.

supermackem

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Was set on the ub700 but then noticed they have released a ub400 now, is there much difference in the two price is pretty much the same price.

Was set on the ub700 but then noticed they have released a ub400 now, is there much difference in the two price is pretty much the same price.
The UB400 is a bit lower down the pecking order.
Only main difference is the lack of a SD card slot and much smaller size (320 x 45 x 193 mm vs 430 x 61 x 199 mm).
The UB400 is 0.8kg lighter than the UB700 which may be an indication of less solid build. The RRP of the UB700 is higher.
As they are much the same shop price I'd go for the UB700 unless you specifically want a smaller player.

The UB400 is a bit lower down the pecking order.
Only main difference is the lack of a SD card slot and much smaller form profile (320 x 45 x 193 mm vs 430 x 61 x 199 mm).
The UB400 is 0.8kg lighter than the UB700 which may be an indication of less solid build. The RRP of the UB700 is higher.
As they are much the same shop price I'd go for the UB700 unless you specifically want a smaller player.
Yeah I'm thinking the same, will grab a 700 soon in case they get phased out for the cheaper model.

The 900 can be bought for £379 now which is the very top of the line model. Its supposed to have better audio quality than the 700 hence the price difference , but every one seems to think that its well worth shelling out the extra money.

The 900 can be bought for £379 now which is the very top of the line model. Its supposed to have better audio quality than the 700 hence the price difference , but every one seems to think that its well worth shelling out the extra money.
Only better if you want/need analog output. Otherwise for bitstreaming via HDMI they are the same.
I'm one who doesn't think it's worth shelling out the extra (as have no need for analog outputs).

Only better if you want/need analog output. Otherwise for bitstreaming via HDMI they are the same.
I'm one who doesn't think it's worth shelling out the extra (as have no need for analog outputs).
Doesn't the 900 have high end audio components not in the 700 though?
I am sure that's what I have read in many reviews.
Build quality is supposed to better as well

Doesn't the 900 have high end audio components not in the 700 though?
I am sure that's what I have read in many reviews.
It does but only as regards the DACS and the supporting infrastructure for the analog outs (circled in red in the photo). If you don't use them there is no point paying for them.

Physically the motherboards are very similar and the SOC used is the same. THE UB900 does have a larger capacitor in the power supply which is meant to improve it's analog stages but would do little if bitstreaming via HDMI.

ub700-ub900-over.jpg

Last edited:
Only as regards the DACS and the supporting infrastructure for the analog outs (circled in red in the photo).
Physically the motherboards are very similar and the SOC used is the same.

View attachment 868290

Ah, I see.

Well I was saving up for the 900 , but if the picture quality is the same as the 700 then I may just by that one instead as I don't need the analogue inputs either. Although it is also missing the THX cert.........

"Compared with the flagship Panasonic DMP-UB900, what are missing from the DMPUB700 are 7.1 analogue audio output, THX certification, a classier, backlit remote control and insulating feet"

Ah, I see.

Well I was saving up for the 900 , but if the picture quality is the same as the 700 then I may just by that one instead as I don't need the analogue inputs either. Although it is also missing the THX cert.........

"Compared with the flagship Panasonic DMP-UB900, what are missing from the DMPUB700 are 7.1 analogue audio output, THX certification, a classier, backlit remote control and insulating feet"
And the feet, don't forget the shiny feet. Class! :)
Yes, the UB900 remote is nicer but they can be picked up on ebay for not a lot. And if you use a Harmony it's just another one to put away in the cupboard.

Now I'm not knocking the UB900, far from it. It's also got a more solid build (top casing, although the rest is much the same as can be seen in the strip down photos) and overall is worth the extra if you want the analog outs. Otherwise it's mostly cosmetic differences.

And don't forget to check out the official Panasonic refurb store on eBay ... 700's normally up there for £199 on a Friday morning - 12 months warranty and free disc (was Ghostbusters - now Fantastic Beasts I think)

Pic quality wise, the UB700 and 900 are indistinguishable (identical processing). The UB900 has better build/shielding and analog outputs so would likely be better if you were listening to audio a lot. For movies though, the UB700 is a steal, and it still got the dual HDMI output for split A/V, which the UB400 and below don't have. That was what I needed, so it was a no brainer.

For movies though, the UB700 is a steal, and it still got the dual HDMI output for split A/V, which the UB400 and below don't have.
The UB400 does have dual HDMI output. Only the UB300 is missing that feature.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom