Which outputs?!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Blackpoolsam12345, Oct 8, 2018.

1. Blackpoolsam12345

Blackpoolsam12345
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,

I recently purchased a set of Kef Q55.2 towers and a Denon X2400h AV receiver / amp. I have since purchased a set of Monitor Audio BR1 bookshelf speakers to add some more treble to the system, as with the Q55.2's alone it was all flat bass and nothing else.

I will be using the system mostly for music and tv with some films. The Monitors work very well on their own and Front L/R, I was then thinking of wiring the Kefs in as surround L/R. Would this work?

I basically want the monitors to continue their job playing the full range of sound and for the Kefs to add to this in terms of bass without overpowering the whole system and muffling the sound.

Is it normal for the Q55.2's to sound so flat? I tried them alone in the front lr channels and no matter which amp settings I changed they sounded so muffled and bass'ey.

I appreciate that I currently have only 4 speakers in the system however I do intend to build on this over time and experiment with things. Any advice would be very much appreciated.

It may be worth adding that these are being used in a small living room with 2.5mm cable.

Thank you - Sam

2. Rambles

Rambles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,958
    Hi Sam,

The Kef Q55.2's are almost certainly bi-wireable, which means that they have four inputs rather than two. The four inputs should be linked, using a speaker link / jumper. A short length of speaker cable will do.

I wonder if you have only connected the amp to the low frequency input, and are not linking that to the high frequency inputs?

s-l640.jpg

3. Blackpoolsam12345

Blackpoolsam12345
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Rambles,

Thank you for your help.

I've attached pictures of the speakers and the inputs for reference.

They each have bridges on the connections, with one of these being wire and the rest solid. Are these good? Should I look at replacing them? Do you think I should be getting more from these than flat muffled sound?

Regards
    Sam

Attached Files:

4. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,690
    Do t he KEFs have four binding posts in a half moon shape at the bottom of the speaker? It should have a curved wire connecting the two same coloured binding posts. If these are missing then that could be resulting on too much bass as the speaker is not working properly with a single wire to each binding post colours.

5. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,690
    Just read your new post. The connectors, all bar one which has wire is in place. The speakers are rear ported so how close do you have them to a side or rear wall? These speakers do not like being pushed into a corner and such a placement can result in overbearing bass.

6. Rambles

Rambles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,958
    I have a pair of Kef Q35's sitting behind me here in my office, and they sound lovely :)

Put the speaker cables from the amp into the HF inputs, and if they sound all treble and no bass, then you know you are onto something.

7. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,432
    IMG-8310 - the piece of cable on the left should be replaced.

KEF Speakers - it ‘sounds’ like they have a problem, they should not sound muffled. It sounds like they have blown HF units. Remove the speaker links and power only the HF and test them.

Joe

8. Blackpoolsam12345

Blackpoolsam12345
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll try this and reply with the results! Thank you for your advice