1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which out of these two 250GB ExHDD's

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by Oasis-GasPanic, Jun 23, 2005.

1. Oasis-GasPanic

Oasis-GasPanic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I'm currently in the market for an external HDD to keep all my media (DV/HD/MP3/WMA...) on. I came across what i think are two great value units, problem is I can't find any reviews on either one, so was hoping anyone with any experieces with either could share their thoughts.

WD 250Gb 2MB USB2 7200RPM £99
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...45810/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_3_1/202-9604885-9933450

Buffalo 250GB ?MB USB2 7200RPM £99
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...45810/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_3_2/202-9604885-9933450

Cheers,

2. cartman69

cartman69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
  3. bnewbie

bnewbie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would suggest going for the Western Digital drive (aside from performance differences which are relatively little) simply because Western Digital makes hard drives, and very good ones at that (I've used about 60 WD hard drives with only 1 failing due to my own mistakes).

With the Buffalo drive you have no idea what drive is inside, at least with the WD unit you know what make is inside.

As I said about performance, the reason why it's not as important as internal drives is that you aren't going to be using data on it all the time (for example you aren't going to run Linux or Windows off it) and the performance differences between drives in the external market is relatively little so it's best to go for something that's reliable and a good make.

Hope it helps,

L

4. Oasis-GasPanic

Oasis-GasPanic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    cheers for the replies guys. L, my thoughts entirly. Cartman, WOW i never knew the lacie's went that low (price wise) so i might have to go for one of them. Any ideas what disk they use though???

Cheers again,

5. cartman69

cartman69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    they use seagate hd so they run quiet and cool, i can't comment on the wd ext - but i have had a couple of wd int drives die on me :(

6. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,022
    I have had three WD drives fail on me. I consider them cheap. I like Seagate and Maxtor. I might try Samsung some time.

I prefer to make my own external with a enclosure. (£20 for both USB 2.0 and Firewire). I went for a MAxtor DiamondMax 200GB.

7. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,350
    I've got a Lacie 400GB USB2/Firewire/Firewire800 HDD and it is very fast (though not silent). Lacie now have their own on-line shop as well.

8. bnewbie

bnewbie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I believe different people have different experiance with hard drives (except for IBM, whom everyone universally seems to have a bad experiance with). I have had Maxtor drives fail but I know people that swear by it. I've had no problem with Seagate drives (I exclusively use their SCSI drives in all my servers) and so on.

The most important thing is that hard drives need sufficient cooling but of course this adds noise. It would tend to suggest for things like external drives where there is no real active cooling (apart from on the power supply unit) something slightly slower (in the RPM dept) would be better in the long run (that is not to say that all 7,200 RPM drives will fail, it's just a suggestion).

To be honest it's probably best to go with a brand you feel safe with. Like some of the guys here have said "i've already had one brand so I may buy another".

Seagate and Maxtor drives can be quieter mainly because they use fluid dynamic bearings but there are some WD drives that have this too.

Cheers,

L

9. Oasis-GasPanic

Oasis-GasPanic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    cheers for your thoughts and suggestions guys, they're greatly appreciated. I think overall with regards to size, price and design the Lacie Porche 250GB wins, so thats what i'll be going for.

Regards,

10. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,350
    Don't forget to checm the prices on the on-line store at Lacie as they may well be cheaper than elsewhere. Go here for their shop

11. Maff et1

Maff et1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just got my 2nd Lacie 250Gb. 1st one fantasic so I though I'd get another.

2nd died after 5 mins (just long enough to start using it, the git). Also, the 1st was a great quality ali case, good for heat disapation. 2nd one was a plastic case.

Now the fact it died is just unlucky, it happens. However the metal casework was the best thing, if its now plastic it's dissapointing in my view.