Which OS and laptop

happylad

Standard Member
Got an lenovo wondows laptop which is over 10 years old and need a new new as when talking on zoom, it was so grainy and picture quality is not the best. Since there is more OS now, I ve been recommended chromebook due ease of use, and it includes Google play store which is good as my family use android phones, heard its limited in some way bit not sure. We use the free version of word and its fine for us.

Spoke to see friends and they say it's better to stick with windows but heard that we have to purchase antivirus and Microsoft word separately which and windows will stop updating after 2024.

We need a laptop for zoom, my daughter school work, and ideally screen size of 15 inch, budget around £500 or little more, is there any brand to avoid and where to buy them, retail or online. We are not heavy user but might be in future.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
I don't know if there's an end of support date for the current version of Windows but Microsoft's track record is to support it for ten years after release so on past form it'll be some time after 2030.

There are likely chrome books on the market that will go out of support in 2024 or not long after, although some will be longer. Google often doesn't offer the same long term support as Microsoft.

Anti-virus packages have always been a second line of defence for the security holes in the OS and programs. They were a big deal in the 90s and early 2000s when operating systems and programs hadn't been built with security in mind but these days systems are secure enough that most people don't bother. If you wanted one you'd want to buy it whichever system you went for.

The full version of word has always always had a price tag, but the free versions that share the name and style like word online and wordpad that you're using now haven't gone anywhere and will still be available on a new machine.

happylad

Standard Member
Thank you for replying, looks like I will go for Windows OS,.

Is there any recommendations and where is the best place to buy.

bobdylan

Have a look on HotUKDeals, there are always laptop deals coming up there

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD-OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom